New User - Dalton T-L No 292

Hello - I own a Dalton T-L. The stamped letters and numbers on the right end of the rear way appear to be T-L NO 202 or 292. I am hoping to share information
and learn from the discussions here. I inherited this lathe from my father who bought it from a local machinist sometime before I was born in 1946. It still runs and is used occasionally by myself for small projects but needs some repair and cleaning. My first attempt to do repair work to it has been to change the drive belt which quickly taught me that I knew next to nothing because I can't even figure out how to remove the old belt (short of cutting it apart) or how I would install a new one. The old belt is a V belt rather than a flat belt. It has drive pulleys made for V belts so I'm guessing the original pulleys (for flat belts) were replaced? Or did some of the Dalton T-L's use V drive belts? Thank you for allowing me to join your group.
[...]
On 6/21/2021 11:18 PM, gparment wrote:

You will be much better off posting on a web site forum, such as https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum/general
RCM was once go-to for machining, but it has lost its glory, sadly.
On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 03:18:02 +0000
<snip>

Some Lathes were real buggers, needing considerable disassembly for belt replacement...
You can get adjustable length belts nowadays for not too much money and may get you going again without all the extra work...
https://www.mcmaster.com/v-belts/twist-lock-adjustable-length-v-belting-8/
You may find some limited info on Dalton here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/dalton/index.html
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message wrote:
<snip>

Some Lathes were real buggers, needing considerable disassembly for belt replacement...
You can get adjustable length belts nowadays for not too much money and may get you going again without all the extra work...
https://www.mcmaster.com/v-belts/twist-lock-adjustable-length-v-belting-8/
You may find some limited info on Dalton here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/dalton/index.html
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On 6/21/2021 8:18 PM, gparment wrote:

Sorry, don't know a darn thing about Dalton Lathes, but if the existing belt is really bad, and you need to get going right away a link belt might get you by. I've had mixed results with link belts myself, but they always work for a while.
https://www.avg.com