Reid Supply

A long time ago I might have purchased a few things from Reid Supply. I am on their mailing list and SPAM list. On most things I price checked they cost more than McMaster, so I kind of forgot about them until some years back they were bought out by somebody and were going to do business under a new name. I price checked a few items I buy regularly from MSC or McMaster and I seem to recall they didn't have some, and they were higher priced on some, and I forgot about them again.

Well Reid Supply is doing business under a Reid Supply again (its been a year or two now) and they keep sending me SPAM. The latest ones have been promoting FREE 3D CAD MODELS of many things. That's something McMaster has been doing for many years. It seems like they are playing catch up or throwing a wad of things at the wall to see if anything sticks.

They never did anything to piss me off. They just didn't have a good price or just didn't have things I needed in the past. As often happens they just sort of fade out of my awareness until the next SPAM appears in my inbox. So, I am sure there has to be somebody hear who trades with them regularly, and I am sure there must be some product lines Reid is either best price or best inventoried in. They must have some area they are strong in. What is it?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On 1/21/2021 9:09 AM, Bob La Londe wrote: > A long time ago I might have purchased a few things from Reid Supply. I > am on their mailing list and SPAM list. On most things I price checked > they cost more than McMaster, so I kind of forgot about them until some > years back they were bought out by somebody and were going to do > business under a new name. I price checked a few items I buy regularly > from MSC or McMaster and I seem to recall they didn't have some, and > they were higher priced on some, and I forgot about them again. >

Ugh! Their website does one thing I absolutely despise. If they don't have what you are searching for it shows hundreds of items that aren't what you are looking for.

"Do you have any tool steel?"

"Would you like to buy some frozen chickens?"

Fawwwk!

Reply to
Bob La Londe
<snip>

Just like searching on youtube :(

I've been gathering an odd list to try ordering from Zoro:

Compared a couple items (exact matches) to Reid, which had them for over

2x higher...

You tried Zoro via Ebay yet?

Reply to
Leon Fisk

On 1/21/2021 2:02 PM, Leon Fisk wrote: > On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 13:19:40 -0700 > Bob La Londe snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote: >

Zoro is just Grainger rebranded. I have reason to dislike Grainger, but if they were the only vendor on the planet who had what I needed I'd by from them. Typically Zoro pricing is better than the list price from MSC, but the business price is almost always cheaper at MSC.

MSC sells on ebay too, and sometimes their Ebay price is better than the business price on their website, but I just about always get free shipping on the website, so its cheaper on the website.

FYI: In case you didn't know Zoro is free shipping on 99% of things if the order is over $50, so make sure Ebay isn't costing you more net.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
<snip>

Yeah, Grainger prices suck for us common folk...

Just ran several items comparing between Ebay and their own Zoro site. Same prices and shipping. Seems it went up to $75 now. Which don't surprise me. Shipping prices, times and quality are severely lacking nowadays :(

I had heard the Grainger = Zoro before but hadn't actually checked into it. Seems to be thus though after some searching...

Thanks for the info :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

On 1/21/2021 2:02 PM, Leon Fisk wrote: ... Zoro ... ....................................................

A neighbor recently bought some "unavailable" Sears Kenmore appliance parts from Zoro.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I've ordered from UK Zoro from their website and ebay, ebay was fine but I'm suspicious of the website. I ordered some parts from their website as the price bettered anyone else by quite a bit and the items come in packs of 2 from SMC, I ordered 10 off. I later checked again and the price had gone up to normal market price and the order quantity was 10, other similar parts from SMC sold by Zoro on the website were still listed as 2 off quantity. I wonder if they have some sort of tracking software and offered a teaser price on a first order.

Reply to
David Billington

Happens in Real Life(tm). I once went into a metal supplier, asked for (I forget the number, 6000 maybe?) pure aluminum 1/16" sheet. explained at length that I would be hand-working it and needed the softest, most malleable, most ductile material possible.

After checking inventory, the Guy replied that they had none in stock but suggested that they sell me this other alloy of which they had plenty. I pointed out that it was the alloy used for ship hulls and dump truck boxes, the most deformation-refractory one in the list.

His reply? "Availability has to be worth *something*, doesn't it?"

Reply to
Mike Spencer

I use zoro for lots of stuff since Enco went away and they're really good to deal with. If you rack up $50 or whatever the minimum is, you get reasonable speed free shipping. Sometimes you can even key in grainger part numbers and pay like half the grainger price. Their web/phone support is top notch as well. Their hand tool selection and prices are excellent.

If I need a part tomorrow, I'll will call at grainger, but most stuff can just wait.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On 1/21/2021 4:35 PM, Mike Spencer wrote: > Bob La Londe snipped-for-privacy@none.com writes: >

My experience is limited to a handful, but I've found many local metal yards don't really know metal all that well.

I've also found some aluminum alloy availability in some forms seems to be pretty trade limited. I see manufacturers list what I want on their website, but none of the vendors I have access to have it. A few will get what I want if I buy a ton. Heck a big order of stock aluminum for me is only half a ton. I'm at that point where I am considering building a roller forming machine so I can get 5052 in something other than sheets. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe snipped-for-privacy@none.com on Thu, 21 Jan 2021 13:19:40 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

The Amazon search engine approach: show anything which might be related, whether it is even close to what they asked for. I realize that on occasions I've answer the question "find what you're looking for?" with a "Not sure what I'm looking for till I see it." Sometimes you do find "cool stuff" or something else you needed. But when I am looking for something specific, showing me what is only peripherally related "doesn't help my showing experience" E.G., most recently looking for A4 size paper, including standard Letter Size options doesn't help.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Mike Spencer snipped-for-privacy@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> on 21 Jan 2021 19:35:16

Sure is. "Will you take Pesos, because that's what's I have, 'Availability has to be worth *something*, doesn't it?'."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Mike Spencer snipped-for-privacy@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> on 21 Jan 2021 19:35:16

Sure is. "Will you take Pesos, because that's what's I have, 'Availability has to be worth *something*, doesn't it?'."

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"I'm sure your inflamed appendix is very painful and it's distressing that it may rupture at any moment but I'm an orthopedic surgeon so I can replace your hip joint if you like. Availablity has to worth something."

Reply to
Mike Spencer