Repair of combination shear/brake/roll

I have a shear/brake/roll combo that looks identical to mcMaster item

2384A72,
catalog page 2289. (cost was $10, but read on).

This machine looks good in all respects, except that crescent shaped bottom support brace has a vertical crack in the middle. You can look at the bottom of the above mentioned tinyirl image to see that support

-- it is shaped like a crescent "(|", is horizontal, and would almost touch the bench on which you would set this combination machine.

The crack is almost in the middle.

Presently, I see three ways to fix it.

  1. Take it off, grind a vee, heat in BBQ, and weld with Nickel 55 rod.
  2. [Easiest] install a thick steel plate under the bottom that would support the cracked brace. I have a suitable steel plate that is 1" thick and is longer than the width of the roll, it's got to be enough.
  3. Do both 1 and 2.

Has anyone tried similar repairs.

Ignoramus24590

The frame on mine hasn't (?) cracked but most everything else needed a little attention when I bought it used, and again after every heavy cut. I'd grab any excuse to copy the frame parts in steel plate and machine the holes to a better fit or leave extra metal for press-in bushings.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North