resistance welding

The very first question you must ask the person or dealer you would buy this machine from, is where is the local service center?

Most likely they will tell you there is none because most likely the machine is a Chinese knock off and you can't return it to the dealer nor find local service centers. This is the new game from the Orient. They have given up doing quality control checks on outgoing product because their statistical process control is so good that only one in a million welders will be defective. If you happen to be that one in a million, you are screwed unless the dealer will exchange it. If exchanged, then you have a million to one chance of being happy with your purchase. But don't expect any factory help like you would get from Lincoln or Miller or Sears.

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

All the connections in my little toaster oven are resistance welded. Does anyone have an experience replacing one of these elements?

I thought about a momentary zap using a 6 or 12 volt battery. Any thoughts.

Reply to
Hank

Buy a new toaster, they're cheap enough. Not worth the effort to replace them.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

"Jim Chandler" wrote: Buy a new toaster, they're cheap enough. Not worth the effort to replace

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ He's not being cheap. He hates to throw away a perfectly good oven when there might be some way to make it last a little longer.

Twisted connections might work if there is an end to twist onto. Likewise crimp connectors. Or silver solder. Or pop-rivets. Or self-tapping screws.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Hank,

On my last toaster fix, I got lucky and the flat chrome-like ribbon connectors that were supposed to be resistance welded (failed) had enough width that I was able to bolt them together with a # 8 bolt, nut and washers.

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Crimp connectors can work. I've repaired our toaster a couple times when the resistance wire (ribbon actually) failed where it was terminated under a machine screw. The ribbon was too short to make a new connection, but a ring terminal added enough length to reach the screw.

I wouldn't have bothered, but the toaster is one my mother-in-law bought at the GE company store when she was working there after WW2. Maybe the OP has a sentimental attachment to his toaster oven (or maybe he's just cheap).

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Try using the ink tube out of a ball point pen if you can find one that still has a metal tube. Cut a short length, clean it out well,put the ends of the ribbon into it and crimp with a pair of pliers or vise grip.

Reply to
Grumpy

I didn't mean to imply that he was being cheap. I probably should have said that the toasters were inexpensive enough. There does come a point where the effort involved to repair something that is inexpensive to start with is counterproductive. I'm kind of the same way but when I reach the point of diminishing returns I go get a new one.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler