Not your ordinary kind of bolt

Pls see this photo, and the question contained in the caption. Thnx

ghb624
(A picture of rusty T-head bolt, maybe 1" diam.)
I've got some circular strap clamps that have similarly-shaped but much smaller (1/4"-20) T-head bolts. Picture that gives the idea:
Maybe the bolts you found are from bigger versions of the same thing. Or they might be hanger bolts that fit into T-track. In any case, if they fell off a bridge or other infrastructure as you imagine, they probably were holding lights or signs rather than structure.
-jiw
Reply to
James Waldby
Are those from a rail line? Seems like I've seen something similar bolting pieces of rail together. Any railroads close to where they were found?
Reply to
BillM
I don't think so. There are RR tracks not too far away, but in the wrong direction. None upstream from the location I found the bolts.
Reply to
ghb624
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:49:23 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, James Waldby quickly quoth:
Yeah, I've that style on expensive clamps, too.
One other thought. I've seen similar bolts used in slotted flanges on bolt-down manhole covers. At roughly 3/4"x4" or 5", this seems to be the application to me.
Post-"cast-iron-theft era" bolts look totally different:

-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Water main flange bolts?? Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
Or bolts from a pipe repair clamp...
Ned Simmons
different:
Thanks for posting that link Larry - as a former lineman, got all nostalgic going through their catalog....
Andrew VK3BFA.
Reply to
vk3bfa
Those are restraining bolts for ductile iron water main installation. See the attached link to a .pdf.
fittings have a flange drilled for bolts. The plain pipe end has a field installed flange (the brand show is called a Mega-lug) the field installed flange has teeth which bite into the plain end of the pipe. The bolt heads on these teeth shear off when the proper torque is reached.
The T-bolt looking things in the original post clamp the factory flange on the fitting to the Mega-lug. The whole point is to resist intertial forces from "blowing off" the fittings/hydrants/valves, ect.
Enjoy, Andy
Reply to
andy
Wow, there's no end to the kinds of specialized hardware that are out there, if you know where to look. Thanks for all the good inputs, guys.
Reply to
ghb624