Restored Cataract Bench Lathe

Here is the website of how I restored a Cataract Bench Lathe.

Jim Instone

Reply to
Jim and Jackie Instone

Terrific job! It looks just like mine, which is a "59" cataract - 5C collet, 9" swing:

and also (though geocities tend to be a bit flaky) for a more comprehensive view, check out these, which show machine no.

106:

Best to turn off javascript, btw the machine is not for sale at the moment.

Your machine is notable because it has the exact same pattern tailstock as mine, a type that I've never seen elsewhere - with the open-frame squared off construction, and the window in the top to view the graduations on the ram.

Great job on the reconstruction, it will give you terrific service.

Jim

jim rozen

Great looking machine you have there. You did a nice job of returning it's functionality too.

WB ...............

Reply to
Wild Bill

Good job!! Interesting usage of available materials with the hockey puck

Very nice Jim. It would have been nice to have some "before" pictures though

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Hey Jim,

Very nicely done, with some unique ideas too.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Here is the website of how I restored a Cataract Bench Lathe.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Thanks for the compliments. Unfortunately, when I started working on the Cataract, I didn't realize what I had and I didn't take any "before" pictures. In retrospect, I sure wish that I had.

Reply to
Jim and Jackie Instone

I wonder how they got the name Cataract? Did they have something to do with the designer's bad eyesight?

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Nice job, Jim. It looks great! I especially like your use of the hockey puck . Ingenious!

Please keep the website up and post the progress on that crane model. I'd like to see how everything works out.

Scotty

Jim > Here is the website of how I restored a Cataract Bench Lathe.

Reply to
Scotty

I think there were some waterfall-like features near the chicago factory. But a lot of it was apparently marketing hype, the images they used were apparently much enhanced!

Jim

jim rozen

as a large mining equipment and general big thing nut

what crane are you currently working on?

Reply to
williamhenry

My son, Doug, is a crane instructor and he is building a 1/12 scale model of a 40-ton American 599C lattice boom crane to use in his classes. Thanks for the interest.

Jim

Reply to
Jim and Jackie Instone