Retired!

wrote:

Oh, jeez, I hope you get those stroke effects rehabbed. It looks like it didn't damage the most important part -- the part of your brain that thinks.
Good luck on the rest of it, Steve.
--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress wrote:

So far I've got 80% or so back. Still have issues with fine motor control and a tremor that makes some things a real pain.
BUT, I know folks who have it a lot worse than me after one.
--
Steve W.

Yeah, they're scary. I had to drive my uncle around for the last couple years of his life, after he had a stroke, because he just couldn't do it.
I also had to maintain his 42-foot boat. Lucky for him, he could still sit in his deck chair and give me instructions. The Caterpillar diesel was a bit over my head without him. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

On 13-Sep-16 3:39 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Enjoy! I'm sure you will be back here sooner than you think.
Thanks for the useful advice you've given here over the years.

Thanks. I'm between trips and somehow I had to log into RCM. <g>
I'm off again tomorrow evening for some saltwater fishing.
--
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 13:16:41 -0400

I figured you hung around here to keep your fingers limber and in shape for serious editing :)
Congrats on the retirement gig.
Word of advice, only admit being retired if someone asks the question. Semiretired is a good alternative regardless if it's true or not.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Thanks, Leon. Well, in this case it's pretty much true. I'm already thinking about writing something.
--
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 15:11:27 -0400

I don't often recommend books, especially to someone in your class...
Your mention of Pennsylvania brought Ned Smith to mind and his book called "Gone for the Day". I only read a little bit at a time because I'll really be bummed when it's done.
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=ned+smith&bi=0&bx=off&ds0&recentlyadded=all&sortby &sts=t&tn=Gone+for+the+Day
or check out the Ned Smith Center:
http://www.nedsmithcenter.org/product/gonefortheda/
I would make the trip to the Center if it was closer by:
176 Water Company Road Millersburg, PA
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

It sounds good, Leon. Back when Ned was writing for _Pannsylvania Game News_, in the early '60s, I lived in PA and read his columns, which I always enjoyed.
My local libraries don't have it but I've added it to my Christmas list. Thanks!
--
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 12:27:22 -0400

Not at all surprised that you are familiar with Ned's work. It is laid out by month and goes for not quite two years as I recall. Easy to read some and then set aside, wait for the next month. Can't count how many times he would describe some encounter and my head would nod up and down :)
The real nuggets though are the things to watch or look for while you are out fishing, hunting, bird watching...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 14:43:10 -0400, Leon Fisk

Second that one, Leon. When repeatedly presented with the question, "so what are you doing now that you're retired?" (like I should be doing something noteworthy) and not knowing quite how to respond, I finally settled on saying "whatever I want!" with a big grin. It's truthful, accurate, and most don't really want any more detail anyway.
On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 14:43:10 -0400, Leon Fisk

That's a good point. That's basically what I've been telling people. I don't know what I'm going to write yet, but I will continue to write.
And in the immortal words of a fellow writer, Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784):
"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money."
I'll take that to heart. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

Congratulations, Ed!
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 15:39:29 -0400, Ed Huntress

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 11:16:03 AM UTC-4, Don Foreman wrote:

Yes, congratulations. You've earned it and it's the greatest thing since bottled beer.
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 18:03:49 -0700 (PDT), Garrett Fulton

Thanks to both of you guys. So far, so good...
--
Ed Huntress

A bad day of fishin' is better than a good day at the office. We had fresh-caught fish for supper last night, as we often do. We spend most of the summer going fishin' at least once each day.
I find 'em, we catch 'em, I clean 'em, she cooks 'em, we eat 'em. Yum!
Happy retirement!
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 15:39:29 -0400, Ed Huntress

On 9/12/2016 3:39 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

When I retired I became a bit more liberal. Will you become a bit more conservative?

God, I hope not, but I'm developing some bad habits. I already swear too much and I eat squirrels. What's next?
--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress wrote:

Everybody swears at times. Liberals or Conservatives both...
As for the squirrels... Better you than me. I've ate them in the past but the ones around here have WAY to many bugs and diseases to bother with, same with rabbits. Skin'em and feed the 'yotes.
--
Steve W.

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 4:00:40 PM UTC-4, Steve W. wrote:

Cinnamon oil is a great repellent for all of that stuff. The stuff drives off everything for outdoor cleaning and cooking.