Riveting tool

Okay, in the last 10 minutes I went downstairs and turned the concave recess in a 1/4" bolt, stuck it through pipe strapping for a handle, and pounded a round head on a 1/8" steel rivet with it. The 1/2 Lb hammer wasn't quite enough, the 1-1/2 Lb one was plenty.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I've never seen those, so I don't have any info on them. They have another air hammer which has a longer nose and I'm sure would work on simple 1/8" steel rivets. I picked up their cheaper set which would probably work, but I haven't tried installing things with it. It's a demo tool. One of the kits would provide enough chisels to modify for your riveting needs. Plus, they have a standard .401 shank, so you can buy them anywhere.

nose, probably stronger.

My kit, very weak (compared to my Chicago Pneumatic big boy), but

-probably- strong enough for your needs.

-- Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Reply to
Larry Jaques
[...]

Right. The big question is (and I think I posted this question before) can you use Air *hammers* in lieu of air *riveting guns*. E.g. my local shop will sell me an air hammer for $70 (which is OK) but want $260 for an air riveting gun. The main difference as far as I can tell is that the riveting gun has a slow start. How important is that? Is it worth the additional $190?

I am going to go to Canadian Tire and see if I can get one of their air hammers. They have a very good return policy, so if it does not work out...

BTW the 0.401" sets are ubiquitous and form some sources quite cheap ($8.50 from the infamous Aircraft Spruce - surely they will be OK for steel rivets?)

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic
[...]

I believe you. But the purpose of looking for alternatives to hammering rivets is so that they can be set "in situ" as opposed to moving the whole piece to an anvil.

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

The air chisels also hit much faster than a rivet hammer, causing premature work hardening in some rivet materials. A "4X" riveter will work fine on 1/8 steel rivets, the hand-powered squeezer will NOT. How many rivets do you need to drive?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

One can feather the trigger on an air hammer, too, so I really see no difference worth mentioning (though I'm no riveting expert, by any means.)

-- Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thank you. That is useful, I can now look at the blow rate of the proposed purchases :-)

I talked to a vendor today who is supposed to be sending me details of a "powerful" air rivet gun for under $100.

I doubt that I shall be driving large numbers of rivets. I would not be even considering this solution if it was not for the rivet location.

Another issue that was raised today was the air supply. The CFM given for the guns on various sites is anywhere between 3 and 8. I was told of a gun today that was rated at 3 CFM but *15* CFM "under load", whatever that means (surely the gun is either under load or not working - why would there be two figures?). As the number of rivets is not likely to be large and the riveting action takes place in short bursts I was thinking my wimpy little compressor should cope, but now I am not so sure. Then there is the question of the hose size...

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

When I use my big CP gun to break apart a really solid front end or steering gear, I use tons of air in a very short time, with the throttle held WFO. Working on teensly li'l 1/8" rivets, I doubt you'll have to worry about that, Mikey.

If you're setting two rivets, waiting a minute to assemble another gizmo, then setting two more, it's likely that any regular hose and

2+HP compressor will handle the job for you.

If you're assembling ten whizbang units with 18 rivets apiece and then riveting all of them consecutively, get a 5hp compressor and large lines. Ditto if you have multiple assemblers working concurrently.

-- Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Another source for riveters in yardstore.com. They carry used as well as new, including my personal favorite, Cleco 5x ;-)

Reply to
Bob