rockwell 10" questions

I just bought a rockwell 10", and I don't have a manual. When I put it into backgear, I pull the little plunger that is on the spindle so it can spin freely. Then I pull the engagement gear out. When I do this, I get a real loud clanking noise. It works fine, but its obnoxious. Am I doing something wrong? ALso, how to I disengage the lead screw. I see the tumbler lever, but I can't get it to move any direction, any help? Thanks

Reply to
KD

My guess is that your backgear is running dry. Figure out how to lubricate it and it should shut up or at least get a lot quieter.

If you look carefully at it, you will see that the backgear is a very simple mechanism. It is just a shaft on an eccentric so it can go in or out. If you take off a couple of covers then you will be able to look at all the gear teeth. If none are missing or gashed up then you can be happy happy.

Grant Erw> I just bought a rockwell 10", and I don't have a manual. When I put it

Reply to
Grant Erwin