ROFLMAO!!!

1 day 18 hours ago, KHOU 11 News Houston Videos

HOUSTON -- Dave Wilson chuckles as he talks about his unorthodox political campaign.

"I'd always said it was a long shot," Wilson says. "No, I didn't expect to win."

Still, he figured he'd have fun running, because he was fed up with what he called "all the shenanigans" at the Houston Community College System. As a conservative white Republican running in a district whose voters are overwhelmingly black Democrats, the odds seemed overwhelmingly against him.

Then he came up with an idea, an advertising strategy that his opponent found "disgusting." If a white guy didn't have a chance in a mostly African-American district, Wilson would lead voters to think he's black.

And it apparently worked. In one of the biggest political upsets in Houston politics this election season, Wilson -- an anti-gay activist and former fringe candidate for mayor -- emerged as the surprise winner over 24-year incumbent Bruce Austin. His razor thin margin of victory, only 26 votes, was almost certainly influenced by his racially tinged campaign.

"Every time a politician talks, he's out there deceiving voters," he says.

Wilson, a gleeful political troublemaker, printed direct mail pieces strongly implying that he's black. His fliers were decorated with photographs of smiling African-American faces -- which he readily admits he just lifted off websites -- and captioned with the words "Please vote for our friend and neighbor Dave Wilson."

One of his mailers said he was "Endorsed by Ron Wilson," which longtime Houston voters might easily interpret as a statement of support from a former state representative of the same name who's also African-American. Fine print beneath the headline says "Ron Wilson and Dave Wilson are cousins," a reference to one of Wilson's relatives living in Iowa.

"He's a nice cousin," Wilson says, suppressing a laugh. "We played baseball in high school together. And he's endorsed me."

Austin tried to answer the mailer with his own fliers showing Wilson's face, calling him a "right-wing hate monger" and saying he "advocated bringing back chain gangs to clean highways." But the campaign clearly caught him off guard.

"I don't think it's good," he said. "I don't think it's good for both democracy and the whole concept of fair play. But that was not his intent, apparently."

Just how much a role Wilson's mailers played in the campaign is unclear. Other incumbents running for re-election were forced into runoffs, perhaps because the community college system has come under intense criticism for insider business deals and spending money on overseas initiatives. And after 24 years in office, Austin's name should have been somewhat familiar to his constituents.

"I suspect it's more than just race," says Bob Stein, the Rice University political scientist and KHOU analyst. "The Houston Community College was under some criticism for bad performance. And others on the board also had very serious challenges."

Austin has said he plans to ask for a recount. But in an era of electronic voting, political analysts said Wilson's victory will probably hold and send him into office for a six-year term.

(Using Democrat tactics does win when dealing with Democrats!!)

Which brings to mind some experiments by a guy named Pavlov.....

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Saw this in another news group. My comment was that this is not a new tactic. Obama pretends to be black too.

Reply to
Frank

NEW YORK - Home improvement maker Home Depot Inc. has apologized for a tweet that showed a picture of two African-American drummers with a person in a gorilla mask in between them and asked: "Which drummer is not like the others?"

The tweet, from Home Depot's official Twitter account, (at)HomeDepot, was part of a "College Gameday" college football promotion on ESPN. It was quickly pulled, but not before people took screen shots of it and it was widely circulated on social media. NBC and CNBC, among others, reported on the Tweet.

Home Depot said Friday that it has fired the person and outside agency that was responsible for the tweet, but did not disclose their names.

"We have zero tolerance for anything so stupid and offensive," said Stephen Holmes, spokesman for the Atlanta-based company.

Holmes said the company is "closely" reviewing its social media procedures to determine "how this could have happened, and how to ensure it never happens again."

Allen Adamson, managing director of branding firm Landor Associates, said the tweet is "the worst possible message Home Depot can send out ... even if it gets attributed to stupidity."

Reply to
Steve from Colorado

Obama has never been anything but 100% honest about his history and his heritage.

Reply to
deep

Too bad you are not like that ;)

Reply to
Frank

He also pretends he is against war - 6 years later.

He also pretends to be for the people instead of big money, but 6 years later he is still printing cash to prop up banks and wall street.

He is simply O'Bush on steroids.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

so in 2007 when he was recorded stating he was born in Kenya he was telling the truth?

I suppose Deep doesnt want the YouTube link for that bit..does he?

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Where's Obama's School and college records and school loans and school papers and thesis?

Hiding the truth isn't telling the truth.

Reply to
BeamMeUpScotty

Harvard confirmed he graduated Magna Cum Laude (with honors). That's all you need to know.

Reply to
deep

Bush said about the same thing and boy, did Dems howl.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

So the truth isn't worth knowing?

That's Liberalism for you.

Reply to
BeamMeUpScotty

He's our first half-white President.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I remember when McCain was running and had a melanoma removed. It was not enough for them that his doctor said he was cancer free. They wanted to see his medical records.

When I got my first job, it was conditional that my company had full access to my college records. It was stupid for the country to give the most important job in the world to someone that would not disclose all his records to them.

Reply to
Frank

That's because everybody was terrified of him dying and leaving Palin as President.

too horrible to imagine.

What difference does it make? It was confirmed he graduated on "the honor roll". That means he got all A's and B's.

Reply to
deep

Please excuse me for trying to talk sensibly to a moron.

Reply to
Frank

No really, what difference does it make? This is just another lame excuse to attack Obama. You people asked for his birth certificate a hundred times too. At some point you need to stop mindlessly attacking Obama for no legitamate reason. You need to grasp the fact that you lost, and Obama and the American People won. You don't have any reason to destroy Obama, as much as you would love to.

Reply to
deep

Then there is NO earthly reason to hide that genius and all the learning potential from his genius.... is there?

What did we do right and can we transfer that to Chicago schools, and you and Obama want to keep- all that success a secret from the American people.

So much of Obama and transparency.

Reply to
BeamMeUpScotty

That means Obama wanting MY phone record is just another lame excuse to attack me and other tea party people? Good Point.

Obama to Latinos "Punish Our Enemies" (American citizens)

Reply to
BeamMeUpScotty

If you like your transparency...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Perfectly legitimate reasons. You need to take a course in logic. Your all or nothing mentality is not logical. But, it is easy for you to be a Liberal as thinking is not required.

Reply to
Frank