Rosie the riveter's lathe?

"Ignoramus19723" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Congratulations for finding it. The only real difference I see is that on hers the indexer is bolted on instead of integral. The fittings I took to be clapper box hinges are apparently setscrews that rotationally position the tool holder.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Of course it's a photo op(portunity), there aren't any chips and she isn't wearing safety glasses. Her hands are on two handles to support herself leaning forward. Why would you expect 'cinema verite' in a busy factory?

The P&W slotter may have been the only machine available that allowed the bulky tripod-mounted view camera to catch the operator's face while they pretend to work. I've done enough industrial photography to know how difficult that can be.

I suspect there were many bracketing shots to obtain a proper exposure of her skin without excessive glare off the bare metal. There is contrast and texture fairly deep into the shadows without much overexposure of the highlights.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Well, not to argue, but to add some clarification: If she's setting up a keyway-cutting job, you won't see any chips. And if she's adjusting X-Y position to cut from or to a scribed line, her hands would be on two handwheels. That still doesn't explain what's going on, even if it's correct. There are other things that don't look right.

As for the photos, having taken photos of machine operations for 40 years, including for over 500 articles and dozens of magazine covers, I'm just used to making sure it's real. Of course my readers, who were real industry people, would know the difference and would raise hell if I faked it.

I assume the photo was shot as part of a general war-promotion story, and photo composition probably was more important that photo veracity.

Right.

Yes, it's nicely lighted.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

My reaction was that they borrowed the boss' pretty secretary for the photo shoot. I don't expect models to know -anything- beyond how to pose.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

It works for me at this moment. Maybe tiny had a glitch.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Pecker! And don't forget your sunscreen.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

What struck me as out-of-place were her shoes. Seem fancy for that kind of work. No sparks in the grinder image. Look at the coworkers shoes in same. The toe on their left shoe looks well scuffed up...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Yup. It's working for me now.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I had to either illustrate the manual, no pretty faces needed or wanted, or impress the money people who wouldn't notice if the "chips" were sawdust.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yes. Even the above jpeg is not the exact machine that rosie worked with as I found some slight differences/.

Reply to
Ignoramus19723

It is hard to tell, but it seems she has long fingernails.

Reply to
Ignoramus19723

It was a mix of unrelated pictures, it seems, only this picture is the correct one:

not sure

I often do it

Reply to
Ignoramus17532

Rosie the Riveter was part of a government program to encourage women to work in industry to replace the men who were in the army. The most commonly known version of Rosie is probably the 29 May 1943 Saturday Evening Post front page, painted by Norman Rockwell showing a woman with a rivet gun sitting in front of the U.S. Flag background.

John B.

That wouldn't necessarily be a problem. I've had long fingernails my whole life. I use them as tools. They make great scrapers for removing gunk and are essential for the fine manipulation of small parts. I don't break them all that often. Usually when they break it has nothing to do with abusing them while working. However roofing, especially laying shingles will abrade them down to nothing. They were sorely missed after my re-roofing job...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Of course it's a photo op. Look at her shoes. Not really appropriate for a machine shop. Eric

Reply to
etpm

replying to Leon Fisk, pecorporation wrote: Try this site *

* just click Browse Used Machinery and Equipment

Reply to
pecorporation