Rosie the riveter's lathe?

It is hard to tell, but it seems she has long fingernails.
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 21:41:35 -0600, Ignoramus19723

Rosie the Riveter was part of a government program to encourage women to work in industry to replace the men who were in the army. The most commonly known version of Rosie is probably the 29 May 1943 Saturday Evening Post front page, painted by Norman Rockwell showing a woman with a rivet gun sitting in front of the U.S. Flag background.
http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2013/07/01/art-entertainment/norman-rockwell-art-entertainment/rosie-the-riveter.html
--
Cheers,

John B.
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 21:41:35 -0600
<snip>

That wouldn't necessarily be a problem. I've had long fingernails my whole life. I use them as tools. They make great scrapers for removing gunk and are essential for the fine manipulation of small parts. I don't break them all that often. Usually when they break it has nothing to do with abusing them while working. However roofing, especially laying shingles will abrade them down to nothing. They were sorely missed after my re-roofing job...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I had to either illustrate the manual, no pretty faces needed or wanted, or impress the money people who wouldn't notice if the "chips" were sawdust.
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:58:44 -0500, Ed Huntress

Of course it's a photo op. Look at her shoes. Not really appropriate for a machine shop. Eric
message

Congratulations for finding it. The only real difference I see is that on hers the indexer is bolted on instead of integral. The fittings I took to be clapper box hinges are apparently setscrews that rotationally position the tool holder. -jsw
Hi Folks,
What is this machine? https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/naomi-parker-fraley-wartime-machinist-linked-to-rosie-the-riveter-dies-at-96/2018/01/23/10335d0e-004e-11e8-8acf-ad2991367d9d_story.html?utm_term=.bb8abd1abc2c
The Washington Post article from which is comes refers to it as a turret lathe (2/3 the way down the article, and just a "lathe" elsewhere) in this obituary on "Rosie the Rivetter". But it looks more like a milling machine with a rotary table than a turret lathe. Is it a gear broach?
Anybody recognize it?
Dan
================ There were multiple Rosies, one a local NH woman: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/04/29/rosie-riverter-lansing/26596263/
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:49:34 -0500, Ed Huntress
alt.survival,talk.politics.misc,alt.news-media,la.general,alt.politics.clinton from an original thread in just rec.crafts.metalworking

Spam your own group instead of spreading your insanity all over the web. You claim to be the grown-up; prove it. Thank you.

That was just a reply to something that came from whatever group you're posting from. Did you also post this message to the poster who included your group in the list? No? And why not?
Pay attention to the headers. I didn't post the spam.
--

Ed Huntress

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

wartime-machinist-linked-to-rosie-the-riveter-dies- at-96/2018/01/23/10335d0e-004e-11e8-8acf- ad2991367d9d_story.html?utm_term=.bb8abd1abc2c

I think it is a shaper. The tool looks MUCH like a shaper tool, and seems like it might be held in a clapper box, although it looks kind of different from what I'm used to seeing. If the setup is the way it was used, and not just something thrown together for the photo, then she would be cutting a groove in the FACE of the gear.
Jon
How do you pronounce the designation of a wide flange beam, such as a W6x12? I learned from texts and never heard it spoken. -jsw
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 19:07:56 -0500

I'm no help with that one. I only know it from texts too.
Metal working stuff is my hobby line. I was an electricians apprentice for several years while studying radio electronics. Worked as a two-way radio, printer and terminal tech for most of my career. We probably know a lot of the same jargon in those areas :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 06:41:52 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Whoooeee! That's a right nice lookin' machinist. Hubba hubba. Naomi, if you were Rosie's inspiration, ya done good, girl. RIP

It looks more like a vertical shaper to me, set up for gear ID slotting. (not that I'd know anything about either, yet. ;)
There were vertical turret lathes: https://is.gd/dIctwu And there were vertical shapers: https://is.gd/mYNUkg Which look pretty similar at a glance.
-- Sir Winston Churchill

I bought a transmission-end motorcycle chain drive sprocket for my sawmill and then discovered it has a 13-spline center hole, that I couldn't index to groove the shaft. The final milling setup using a 52-tooth Sears AA lathe change gear was about that kludgy. -jsw

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Pecker! And don't forget your sunscreen.
--
Ed Huntress