RT tricks

Hello all,

Suppose the goal is to make a 'C' with a horizontal line sticking out of it - something like 'Y' on its side. The front and back surfaces of the C are circular arcs (actually, it is slots cut into it which need to be circular arcs).

My question is really just educational: in terms of cutting the transition from the circular arc to the straight line (the outer surface), are there any tricks of the trade for getting a smooth transition? The best I have been able to figure out is to cut the arc and then return to zero angle and use the mill table to cut the straight surfaces. That should be more than sufficient, but any pointers for "doing it right" would be appreciated (and probably not fully understood).

What will be really interesting will be making the thing that rides in the slots. My plan is to clamp using an oversize projection from it, and then finally trepan either the part from the projection or the projection from the part. I suspect the latter is better???

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab