rustproof a precision vice

Maybe I've been sleeping under a rock. What the heck is parkerizing?

BTW, Oil and grease (like LPS-3) are a big thing to avoid with wire EDM. The DI water really cleans any contaminent right off. Things like to rust quickly.

Kalr

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Something I can relate too from mill experience. How deep a finish cut is best?

This is a good idea, I've got a much better chance of finding a stainless precision vise, than a sine vice.

I had to make a custom tool similar to this to pull pins on my Hardinge CHNC. Didn't have the wire then.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm a totally newbie here.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

There are a lot of variables to consider. The complexity of the part, as well as the thickness, and the size and type of wire you are using. It's been a few years since I ran one. Best I can recall, we would take .001-.002 for a part that would only get one clean up pass. If extreme accuracy was needed, we would take two finish passes. The last one I think was less than .001.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Parkerizing - a controlled rust. If you have seen the greenish sheen of an M1 or like rifle - not the blue colors - but a greenish - that is Parkerizing.

It prevents rust. It has tooth for paint as well... Paint could be used as a surface buffer as not to wear thin a Parkerizing layer.

Martin [ gloat - has 4-5 gallons in the shop of fresh material ]

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Karl Townsend wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On 30 Nov 2006 08:42:06 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "GatherNoMoss" quickly quoth:

Are you talking about Militec-1, Mossy? Hmm, maybe the Militec grease would work even better.

It's interesting what Google brings up under "gun oil", isn't it?

- DANCING: The vertical frustration of a horizontal desire.

Larry Jaques

What about wax, like car wax? It should stop rust and be waterproof?

Reply to
Nick Hull

Some do indeed. Distilled water.

Once they have been exposed to air..indeed they do.

Gunner

Gunner

Oh. I see where you're going now. The one we had wasn't submerged. Sometimes I forget that many of them are.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Parkerizing is the finish used on the steel parts of military firearms (WWII and later), among other things It is done in a aqueous hot bath and converts the steel surface to iron/manganese phosphate. It is more rust resistant than bluing but not rust proof. The color varies from black to gray to greenish gray. It is popular with bad weather hunters and is offered by many gun smiths.

Randy

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:nuGbh.5296$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Randal O'Brian