Safety chain

wrote:

No chain link is welded, only passed through the U that is heftily welded to the frame. I'll post a pic.
As you state, you use your eyes to lift less than critical loads, and less than rated strength. I bought some weld on grab hooks to put on a friend of mine's bucket on his front end loader. There is a hefty boss there to weld to, probably more than half an inch thick, with bevel and all. The cat's meow.
I've just seen so many jury rigged, and even properly rigged things fail, sometimes catastrophically, and I'm gun shy, tending towards the overkill. A failure can surely stress you out, mess up your day, hurt some equipment, and even some flesh.
Better to overfigure.
Steve
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:14:02 -0700, "Steve B"

The "U" is welded to the trailer - the chain is not welded (other than the factory weld on the link) - right??
wrote

Correct. There is absolutely no welding on the chain. And that U looks stout. I'll bet it's either treated metal of some sort, or the weld was treated afterward to increase strength. If the whole thing went barrel rolling down the Interstate at 80 mph like Gunner's spare tire, I bet those two pieces would be the only ones on the whole thing left together.
BTW, went out and did some welding over the last two days, and Old Sally is doing fine. AND, I can still weld 7018.
Steve

No, as I mentioned above a 3/8" shackle fits a 3/8" chain if you put the shackle pin through the end of the link after moving the free end link to the center. The orange 3/8" shackle hooked on my left little finger right now is rated WLL 1 1/2T, more than the 3/8" Grade 30 chain whose center link is hanging from it
jsw, typing with the other hand
wrote

No, as I mentioned above a 3/8" shackle fits a 3/8" chain if you put the shackle pin through the end of the link after moving the free end link to the center. The orange 3/8" shackle hooked on my left little finger right now is rated WLL 1 1/2T, more than the 3/8" Grade 30 chain whose center link is hanging from it
jsw, typing with the other hand
As I said, there are all sorts of chains and shackles and carabiners and twin clevises and on and on and on. And now that it is difficult to identify just where your little widget came from, and its beer can metallurgy, nothing can be ASS-U-MED any more with regards to SWL's stated, and that's even by reputable companies. LOTS of rigging I have seen has very little specs on it, except disclaimers.
Steve

IIRC Wilton or Columbus-McKinnon made the expensive orange shackles. The tags are gone but they are marked USA. The Chinese 3/8" ones have WLL 1T on them. If I need to operate rigging gear anywhere near its rating I check it with a load cell first, or use proof-tested Grade 70 chain. Normally I use the large cheap Chinese shackles to protect rope from sharp metal edges.
jsw
snip

IMHO you are mistaken. You cannot combine/add SWL of the two safety chains in the manner you seem to suggest. In the event that the chains are loaded, it will probably be in the form of a shock load, and there is no mention of any method (such as an equalizer) ensuring that each chain will be equally and simultaneously loaded. In fact what you have is two chains with SWL of 2200 lbs each or in total.
Also, the gross weight of the trailer is not the maximum load to which the safety chains could? be subjected. In practice a simple hitch failure would probably result in a loading much less than the trailer GVW, but in an accident at highway speed, MUCH higher loads could result and they are also likely to happen in a series of shocks and not a single smooth loading.
I do not mean to suggest that your safety chains are inadequate, as I do not know the specifics of the chain or your trailer and hitch or any of the many other variables. I only wished to comment that the chain capacity of two chains is no higher than one, but only provides redundancy in the event that the first chain fails.
Good luck, YMMV
says...

In an accident at highway speeds, what exactly do you believe that the safety chains are supposed to accomplish?

snip

snip
Minimize risk of injury or property damage TO OTHERS.
I hope none of us ever discovers how effective they actually are. IMHO effort is better directed at hitch fit and maintenance.
Happy trails,
Private wrote:

I had a trailer that broke loose from an oncoming vehicle run off the road into a ditch, then shoot back onto the road and just miss the side of my car by inches. If I hadn't floored my old chevy and went as far right as I could, it would have come through the grill.
I had the tongue break off of an old trailer my dad owned. Only a thin strip of torn steel kept it from digging into the roadway. I 'spliced' the broken 1.5" square tubing with a couple 18" 1/2" diameter stainless steel rods I salvaged from some wide carriage printers, and some hose clamps to get it home and unloaded.
In the first case, the chains didn't work and in the second, they did.
enough left over to pay them.

What kind of accident at highway speeds resulted in this trailer breaking loose?

What kind of accident at highway speeds resulted in this breakage?

There isn't any question that the safety chains are supposed to keep the trailer in tow if the hitch breaks in some manner, but that's not "an accident at highway speeds".

"J. Clarke" wrote:

The speed limit was 45 MPH.

I was driving at 55 MPH, the posted speed limit when I saw the front of the trailer drop in my rear view mirror. I pulled off the road as fast as I could, without causing more damage to the trailer or my car.

Either would have been, if I hadn't been alert and knew what to do. In the first, I could have hit that loose trailer crossing the highway and flipped my car. In the second, the car following me was tailgating and waiting to pass me as soon as he was out of the city limits. If I hadn't pulled over right away, it would had drove the front of the trailer into the road and snapped the chains. Then he would have hit it head on.
I don't care that you don't consider them "an accident at highway speeds" since either could have caused a fatality.

enough left over to pay them.

And this was an accident in what way?

So when did the accident occur?

The contention was that the chains had some function when an accident occurred. If there was no accident then how does your anecdote pertain to the function of chains in an accident?

Did it happen? If not then what accident _did_ happen?

Again I don't see any description of an accident.

I see. So the trailer breaking was the "accident" and the chains had no function at all in said "accident" so how is it relevant to the question of the function of chaines in an "accident"?

My main concern is what did the bear standing in the woods next to the freeway see and hear? And what would be HIS "function" in the equation?
Steve

I'm pretty sure the bear would be scratching his head wondering why Mr. Clarke just HAS to win this non-argument.

AND, if you're alone on a deserted woodsy stretch of Interstate, does it make a sound?
You're DEEP, JC.
Steve
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:47:12 -0700, "Steve B"

Ooooh!! Indeed! Kharmic!!!
Gunner
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:08:44 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Substitute INCIDENT for ACCIDENT and Bob's your mother's brother.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

So the safety chains are there to protect against "incidents"?
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:37:53 -0400, "J. Clarke"

No, they are to prevent "incidents" from turning into "accidents" I dropped the camping trailer off the ball one day and the properly installed chain kept the trailer behind me untill I pulled over and rehitched.
My brother's boat tailer came off his pickup and the improperly installed chains allowed the trailer to make one heck of a mess of the back of his truck, as well as damaging the prow of the boat. He was able to get the truck in front of the loose runaway trailer and get both stopped, together, just off the side of the road with the tongue of the trailer in the box of the truck, through the tailgate.
My incident was just an incident. His was an incident with damage - which could also be loosely classed as an accident.
If either had gotten away, they would likely have caused a real accident.