Safety chain

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Which MOST chains CAN accomodate.

Not a twisted link dog-chain - or a sash chain- but that's no good and illegal for a safety chain anyway

Reply to
clare

"Ignoramus31115" wrote

That is a fine point, Sir. My error in looking at the photo was called to my attention, and I realized that one COULD put a shackle in a line of links. But, as you point out, one would have to use one wussy of a shackle to be able to get it in there. Fine observation, Grasshopper.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

There are MANY chains, with MANY lengths of links, diameters, etc. To talk of chain as it is one standardized commodity is erroneous. I have seen chains with short fat links, and chains with long lean links, and then I have seen chains with long fat links. And then I have seen anchor chains with a crossmember that take shackles out of the equation, except as used ONLY on the end. Chain has many types.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yes, there are many kinds of chain, and inserting the shackle works with some of them and does not work with other kinds. The hole would have to be three times the thickness of the chain, or more, for this to work.

Ignoramus16025

No, as I mentioned above a 3/8" shackle fits a 3/8" chain if you put the shackle pin through the end of the link after moving the free end link to the center. The orange 3/8" shackle hooked on my left little finger right now is rated WLL 1 1/2T, more than the 3/8" Grade 30 chain whose center link is hanging from it

jsw, typing with the other hand

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

And yet, there are those ............

I was looking at the Lincoln factory welds on my SA 200 today where the links are attached to the frame. The links are NOT welded to the frame, but to a long U shaped piece that is bent out. There are some long fine looking welds on there, as only Lincoln factory trained welders can do with absolutely no hint of a starting point or ending point. The U is made out of 1/2" round bar. The welds are two inches long, and four of them, two on each side of each leg of the bar. The chain would part, or the U would fail, but those welds would be there until 20,000 years from now when it all corroded away.

Someone made the comment that safety chains could not be welded to a trailer. This method must circumvent that regulation, as Lincoln should be able to put out a DOT acceptable alternative. I had seen the double pad eye mount, but this is much simpler, and looks mighty hefty.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

How old is your SA-200?

I think that the no welding of chain to the trailer rule is a good idea because it does not work well on heat treated chain.

I personally did weld some lifting things, but I always use them far below their rated strength.Say, I welded two grab hooks together with a flat that has an eye in it. It is very convenient to lift things held by a single chain.

I did test it with my press up to several tons of load.

Ignoramus16025

No chain link is welded, only passed through the U that is heftily welded to the frame. I'll post a pic.

As you state, you use your eyes to lift less than critical loads, and less than rated strength. I bought some weld on grab hooks to put on a friend of mine's bucket on his front end loader. There is a hefty boss there to weld to, probably more than half an inch thick, with bevel and all. The cat's meow.

I've just seen so many jury rigged, and even properly rigged things fail, sometimes catastrophically, and I'm gun shy, tending towards the overkill. A failure can surely stress you out, mess up your day, hurt some equipment, and even some flesh.

Better to overfigure.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

No, as I mentioned above a 3/8" shackle fits a 3/8" chain if you put the shackle pin through the end of the link after moving the free end link to the center. The orange 3/8" shackle hooked on my left little finger right now is rated WLL 1 1/2T, more than the 3/8" Grade 30 chain whose center link is hanging from it

jsw, typing with the other hand

As I said, there are all sorts of chains and shackles and carabiners and twin clevises and on and on and on. And now that it is difficult to identify just where your little widget came from, and its beer can metallurgy, nothing can be ASS-U-MED any more with regards to SWL's stated, and that's even by reputable companies. LOTS of rigging I have seen has very little specs on it, except disclaimers.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

IIRC Wilton or Columbus-McKinnon made the expensive orange shackles. The tags are gone but they are marked USA. The Chinese 3/8" ones have WLL 1T on them. If I need to operate rigging gear anywhere near its rating I check it with a load cell first, or use proof-tested Grade 70 chain. Normally I use the large cheap Chinese shackles to protect rope from sharp metal edges.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The "U" is welded to the trailer - the chain is not welded (other than the factory weld on the link) - right??

Reply to
clare

Correct. There is absolutely no welding on the chain. And that U looks stout. I'll bet it's either treated metal of some sort, or the weld was treated afterward to increase strength. If the whole thing went barrel rolling down the Interstate at 80 mph like Gunner's spare tire, I bet those two pieces would be the only ones on the whole thing left together.

BTW, went out and did some welding over the last two days, and Old Sally is doing fine. AND, I can still weld 7018.