Science Quiz

A small plastic pyramid. If you sleep in it, you will never age.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Got that one wrong. Without googling, I mixed plasmids up with prions. I'm not keeping up on my biochemistry. :-(

I did a term paper on mitochondria in '61. At that time. The notion that mitochondria originated as endosymbionts had been raised but was roundly ridiculed. It began to get some traction in the 70s but even then, a biochemist friend still ridiculed it. Not so much now, albeit still undecided.

What shocked me about the OP's quiz was that only 31% or college grads got the atmosphere composition right. Then I relfected on all the grads I know who took the absolute minimum number of science credits required for their degrees in economics or English or education. But it's still a pathetic number.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

My results: ====================================================================== You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly. ======================================================================

While not stating which question, I was amazed at how few people got one in particular right -- the overall balance was 20% and even the college graduates only got 31%. I thought that one was common knowledge. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

100%
Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Big ol dummy me got 13-13. I kept looking for trick questions and didnt find any.

Only 7% of the public got them all correct????????

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Don:

Hmmm, that might go a long way toward explaining why there is so much controversy over Global Warming in the general population.

My hobby in the 80's, of designing & building custom Nitrous Oxide units for max horsepower made me quite familiar with the normal atmospheric composition.

Reply to
BottleBob

Mechanical Aptitude Test at

is pretty good.

Reply to
Ollie

I got all 13 right, too! Now that I have proven there is a Dog.... :-)

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Ollie:

That was fun. Although I only got 460 points (92%). I'll assume that means I got 4 wrong. Kind of disconcerting that they don't tell you which ones you missed.

Reply to
BottleBob

ARF Father in Heaven... HOWL be Thy name.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got 3 wrong on the multiple gear/ multiple pulley sections of the mechanical aptitude test. all else correct.

I dont deal with them very often and after reviewing the test...could see my errors quite plainly.

Sigh

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

They do..just click on the Review button and it takes you back through the quiz and shows you the right and wrong answers.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

12 out of 13
Reply to
Bluey69

Gunner:

Ahh yes, I see it now. Since I had already deleted the test, I redid it to see which ones I missed. Thanks.

Reply to
BottleBob

BottleBob fired this volley in news:354034e3-8aa8- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

That's how I feel about it, also, but you expressed it better.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I missed 5 but the review page got hosed and wouldn't show what I missed, damnit. I think it may have been the multiple pulleys which got me, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's a scam. They fully pre-age you before putting you in it.

I expected him to look more imposing like Yul Brynner:

the Mongolian Pharoah.

--Imhotep

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Only missed one, the fans.

Reply to
Steve Walker

In my college days the liberal arts majors used Astronomy for the easy passing grade.

Then again, I took Theatre to satisfy the Humanities requirement because the prof never assigned written homework (to actors and dancers???) and accepted any lame BS we came up with ("artistic freedom") when called on in class. Theatre is about how misfits abuse those they envy which you should know from kindergarten, or the political rants here.

There was also the eye candy factor.

For scheduling reasons I took Statistics in the Liberal Arts department. That was another no-study passing grade for the math-impaired, but I was too far along when I realized it wasn't going to be very useful. And the explanations of the many ways to rig a "random" survey were interesting. One was to call homes during working hours, which overly weights the responses with the retired and unemployed.

It's quite disconcerting to pollsters that I can mentally calculate the error margin for their sample size while talking to them, even more so if they know it's the reciprocal of a square root.

There was an order of magnitude's difference between the intellectual demands in the Engineering and Liberal Arts curricula. A science degree proved that you could comprehend and extend what you'd learned, a liberal arts one that you could memorize.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I only got 90 but I think the creator of the test didn't do any better.

On the gears, if it's a gear drive, it's not a direct drive, and the two equal size gears, one gear is rotating reverse from the other. All reverse rotation except the one with 3 gears. So there was reverse and reduction, reverse and overdrive, reverse, and reduction without reverse.

On the pulleys, there was a direct lift, pulley with force at right angle, and pulley with force down, unless you have miracle pulleys with zero friction, the direct lift takes less force. I ignored the friction of the pulleys and weight of the rope and picked the answer they wanted.

On other pulley's they showed the force with the rope at an angle, not straight vertical. Their answer they were looking for was only correct with a straight vertical pull with no horizontal component.

I missed one because I didn't enlarge the image and thought the lever was being lifted by the wrong end, I thought the fulcrum was an arrow showing lifting up.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN