Science Quiz

On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 19:32:19 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

A small plastic pyramid. If you sleep in it, you will never age.
--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

That's a scam. They fully pre-age you before putting you in it.
http://files.myopera.com/Mudi25/albums/3466372/20070114234723-cairomuseum-mummy-ramses-ii.jpg
I expected him to look more imposing like Yul Brynner: http://thelexicans.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/yul-brynner-as-ramses.jpg?w77 the Mongolian Pharoah.
--Imhotep
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 7:04:05 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I wish this wasn't usenet, so I could give this post a +1 or a "like" or a thumbs up, or something. As I said above, I was waiting for a punchline at the end of the 13 questions.
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:04:05 PM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Lloyd:
    I don't think this little quiz was meant as a reasonable test of scientifi c knowledge. Here is my response after being forwarded this "gem" of a qui z:
==================================================     I'm Shocked & Dismayed!!! Don't want to seem judgmental or anything... but I'm APPALLED at the poor showing of their random sample. At first I th ought their "random" sample was taken from the Ozarks or Appalachia where k ids never went to school or learned how to read. This is a major indictmen t against the results of our education system. I especially was disappointed at the low percentage of correct answers in MY age group (65+), were they polling Alzheimer's patients? No wonder America is in the mess it's in. Every Congress Critter shou ld be required to take this test, and if they miss more than two questions they should be impeached and stripped of their position due to mental incom petence. OK, ok, let me climb down off my soapbox. I still am having a hard tim e believing it though. Perhaps their results were fabrications just to gau ge other people's reactions? Sure got a reaction out of me. =================================================    Back to real-time here. This quiz has generated enough passion in me to p ost it here to RCM. That's probably the first thread I've started in a cou ple of years.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

That's how I feel about it, also, but you expressed it better.
Lloyd
message All:
I think you will find this interesting! Heres a quiz on how much science adults know. Only 7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.
http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/
If you respond on how well you did, please don't reveal any correct, or wrong, answers and spoil it for others.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 14:41:41 -0700 (PDT), BottleBob

I just dislocated my shoulder tryig to pat myself on the back!
--

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

7% of the adult population gets all 13 questions correct. See how you do.

and spoil it for others.

13 for 13 -- thought the answers were all pretty obvious.
On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 02:54:13 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Big ol dummy me got 13-13. I kept looking for trick questions and didnt find any.
Only 7% of the public got them all correct????????
Gunner
--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;

    I brain farted one of them.

    Of those asked. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On 11/3/2013 1:08 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Think of the typical voter, then cry.

    My results: =====================================================================        You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly. ====================================================================    While not stating which question, I was amazed at how few people got one in particular right -- the overall balance was 20% and even the college graduates only got 31%. I thought that one was common knowledge. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:09:57 PM UTC-7, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Don:
    Hmmm, that might go a long way toward explaining why there is so much controversy over Global Warming in the general population.
    My hobby in the 80's, of designing & building custom Nitrous Oxide units for max horsepower made me quite familiar with the normal atmospheric composition.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

100%
On 11/02/2013 02:41 PM, BottleBob wrote:

Mechanical Aptitude Test at
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes.html
is pretty good.
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:00:45 PM UTC-7, Ollie wrote:

Ollie:
That was fun. Although I only got 460 points (92%). I'll assume that means I got 4 wrong. Kind of disconcerting that they don't tell you which ones you missed.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 00:06:57 -0700 (PDT), BottleBob

They do..just click on the Review button and it takes you back through the quiz and shows you the right and wrong answers.
Gunner
--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:27:00 AM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:

Gunner:
    Ahh yes, I see it now. Since I had already deleted the test, I redid it to see which ones I missed. Thanks.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

    Depends. I got a "you are not allowed to visit this page" after clicking to get the scores.
    And there was one question (I guess that I should not say anything else about it) for which I could see only answers that I considered wrong, so I selected the one which I considered least wrong. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"BottleBob" wrote in message

I only got 90 but I think the creator of the test didn't do any better.
On the gears, if it's a gear drive, it's not a direct drive, and the two equal size gears, one gear is rotating reverse from the other. All reverse rotation except the one with 3 gears. So there was reverse and reduction, reverse and overdrive, reverse, and reduction without reverse.
On the pulleys, there was a direct lift, pulley with force at right angle, and pulley with force down, unless you have miracle pulleys with zero friction, the direct lift takes less force. I ignored the friction of the pulleys and weight of the rope and picked the answer they wanted.
On other pulley's they showed the force with the rope at an angle, not straight vertical. Their answer they were looking for was only correct with a straight vertical pull with no horizontal component.
I missed one because I didn't enlarge the image and thought the lever was being lifted by the wrong end, I thought the fulcrum was an arrow showing lifting up.
RogerN