Screw recomendation needed

I have an application to attach a cup brush with a 1/2" arbor hole to a plastic handle. The brush fits into a 3/8" deep flat-bottomed (2" Forsner bit) hole, the handle is 3/4" thick. I hope to find a short, fat washer-head screw that will hold well into the plastic with aggressive threads. I imagine a tapered screw with a 1/4" to 3/8" root that tapers to a point. Something we can power drive quickly and is rust resistant. Maybe an automotive fastener for plastic. What would I call it to Google it? Any advice?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sort of like a LAG screw with a washer?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I predict a lot of pain if you don't pilot-drill the hole. That said, Mc Master has SS truss-head Philips that might meet your needs. Take a look at 93406A296 or 93406A315.

If you're sure you don't want to pilot- drill, McMaster also has a self-drilling bolt with an extra-wide head. 92685A610 is 1/4-14 and 1" long with a flange diameter of .610"

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Sounds like a real problem application. I'd start looking about in the fastener catalogs for a very coarse threaded sheetmetal type screw in a length of about 1/2" for this. I'd probably also want to back up the screw with some adjesive if possible as this will help keep the brush in the handle. There are some epoxies that are good for bonding to plastics that will help a lot in this application. One of the big problems is that your central hole that is produced by the bit is not a common taper for screw tips so you may end up with some problems with holding the brush in.

Bob May

panhead sheet metal screw - panhead wood screw ... panhead shoulder screw

maybe just panhead.

Hul

Tom Gardner wrote:

Reply to