sharpening axes

Ayup, pretty good guess.

The wide bladed heads are for softwoods, where they can cut a wide and deep chip. The narrower blades are for harder woods. Weight of the ax is largely a personal matter, depending on upper body strength (not in delivering the chop, but for the wind up as once an an axe, like a sledgehammer...is started in the right direction, the weight of the blade/hammer does the work)

The curve of the blade, is also important. A very round blade tends to sink in very deeply in softwoods, as the leading edge cleaves the woody material. It also aids in rocking it out..however..it may sink so deeply that it never cuts a very good chip and you spend your time rocking it out. A blunter cutting edge shape cuts a shallower chip that is easily cleaned out by the next chop. In hard woods, a blunter narrow shape more commonly used.

The small short double bitted "cruising" ax was very popular with timber cruisers due to its short length, moderately light head weight and ease of carrying when on snow shoes.

The single bit axes have come in a bewildering number of shapes and sizes, from the heavy and wide Broad Axe, to the narrow barrel makers ax, to the modern firemans ax with its point on one end used for smashing open locks and doors, to the forest fire fighters Polaski, with an heavy duty blunt ax on one side, and a heavy duty hoe on the other, both sides equally used for chopping trees or roots in the dirt.

Actually quite fascinating, and then we can get into the various types of war axes....

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 10:19:58 GMT, Gunner brought forth from the murky depths:

What do you think of that sweet little bearded belt axe that Lee Valley is putting out now?

I love the Gransfors Viking axe and like the Sloyd axe
and all the old styles
Is anyone HERE casting 440 stainless or making viking axes like the Gransfors/LeeValley models?

----------------------------------------------------------- --This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels--

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases =================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That would be a very interesting utility hatchet, though the style would not be very good for any rough work. Id think it would stick too deep of you tried to do any bigger cutting. Probably really nice for trimming and kindling, and would make a good butchering ax for elk.

The Bruks tools are considered top of the line. All hand made by people who really understand cutting dynamics.

Paul Chen handles a huge collection of actual working knives, swords and tools. They are a big importer from China and Taiwan, and seem to only handle the better stuff. Not Great stuff, but pretty good.

Im not a big fan of hatchets and hand axes. I have a dozen or so varied kinds, and usually have a roofers hatchet close by when doing stuff in the guarden or camping, just for the hammer head.

Ive been a fan of Kukris for many many years,and they do the job of a hand ax very well in most cases. My favorite utility kukri, the one I keep in my truck is a Chiruwa Ang Khola:

More on Kukris
the Kukri FAQ (pretty good)
When out and about and hunting etc..I usually have a Kukri balancing a handgun on the off side. I have a very small collection of kukris, and the blade I carry when Im carrying a sidearm, was made by some unknown hami around the end of the 19th or early 20th century. Its a modified Seripatis style and is a very effective fighter, though a bit light for utility work. It has been used to butcher steers, elk and deer, though when actively hunting large game, I will usually carry the ang khola above or something similar.

Chuckle..it also tends to make those with less honest intentions piss themselves when suddenly it appears, held by a wild eyed bearded ape, screaming AAAAYOOOOGURKALLLIII!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

no one responded to my post about the double bit advantage when used for spliting. most folks don't really learn how to split wood unless told. i split for years before i learned one very important technique, rotating the head laterally just as it enters the wood. the double bit puts more weight above the handle axis which adds force to the rotation.

it takes some practice to really get good at it, but you will get some nearly immediate results if you try, enough to make you want to learn it. within one or two sessions you will be asking, "Why have i not heard of this before now!". it works best on dry wood and you will only rarely stick the axe. it won't be a single stroke everytime on tough grain, where a mall may server better.

i got good enough that i only used sledge, wedge/s and axe, retired the mall. the axe is less tiring and i can split more wood per session. one CAUTION: be extra carefull when doing this, the head can really bounce and in almost any direction.

you don't have to have a double bit, a single will work, just not as easily. with either, you need to be careful to keep control and not lose hold of the handle. any one who is experienced should try it, you will like it. newbies should wait a couple of seasons, imho. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 20:32:15 GMT, Gunner brought forth from the murky depths:

Woodcarving.

I have a nice broad hatchet head I need to helve some day soon. It came with a damaged handle some half a dozen people tried to fix. You know the story.

My dad brought one of those to me from Bangkok back in the 60's. Great knife, though I have never used it (aim through the sight to get bearings before taking off a person's head from a distance) as he described its use in Thailand and Nam. ;)

It's a smaller one, a 12" Ang Khola with 2 mini steak knives.

"Why do you scream that?" he asked, quite innocently.

----------------------------------------------------------- --This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels--

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases =================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Btw..the two mini knives..arnt. One is indeed a small eating or utility knife, the other one is a steel for sharpening both blades or for striking sparks from flint as a fire starter.

Chuckle..that "sight" you mentioned..the notch on the ricasso of the blade, is a religious symbol. It represents the Trident of Shiva. And as Im sure you know..Shiva, the Smiling God, is both god of war, and fertility (and other stuff)

That is the battle cry of the Nepalese Gurkhas. A battle cry heard on many if not most battle fields since the early 19th century. They are the little yellow bastards (affectionatly) whom terrorized the Germans in both world wars, Kurkris in hand, and chopping the Krauts to ....kraut. The mear presence of Gurkhas in Japanese theaters of operations was enough on many occasions to cause the Japanese to simply pick up and boogie.

They are even serving today in Iraq I believe.

A Kukri used properly, will split a man from crown of his head, down to his pelvis bone. The Gurkha Bar Mitzva for boys, is a rite, where they completly sever the head from a full grown water buffalo using a slightly larger Kurkri.

The Gurkha Regiments of the British Army are one of the most feared and respected groups of soldiers on the planet

A quick history of the Gurkhas

History of the blades themselves

To answer your question..its kinda sort part of the ritual among Kurkri toters, to scream the battle cry before engaging the enemy..be it a street mugger or a enemy soldier. Scares the piss out of them...lol. And if they run..you dont have to hurt them. So its better all around for everybody.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 09:15:29 GMT, Gunner brought forth from the murky depths:

I'll have to take a closer look. I haven't looked at them for years.

Shiva is also the god of destruction.

But of course.

..."who terrorized"...

Gee, 'til now, I didn't know Nipponese soldiers danced.

For huMons, a quick beheading seems much easier (& less messy) to the wielder.

There ya go. Avoiding confrontation is always the best route.

----------------------------------------------------------- --This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels--

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases =================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No no no. It's obvious gramatically correct in gunner's universe to say:

"Him terrrorized the germans."

Jim

jim rozen

Actually The Destroyer of Worlds...

Yup..Ill dig up some historical notes on the subject of the Gurkhas meeting the Germans in combat..makes interesting reading...LOL

Of course they did! Some even could two step.

True..depending on how you could make the windup.

It always is. Unfortunatly..sometimes confrontation refuses to avoid you.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

On 7 Dec 2003 18:24:37 -0800, jim rozen wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

Actually, we go into the realms of upper English. "(I speak of) them (of) whom (it was said that they) terrorised the Germans."!

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Imagine a _world_ where Nature's lights are obscured by man's. There would be nowhere to go. Or wait a while. Then you won't have to imagine.

Reply to
Old Nick

Works for me! Thanks

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

Having slaughtered a water buffalo before myself, I find this very impressive. I used a reciprocating saw to do the job and it was not easy. I think that I might like to own at least one Kurkri.

Reply to
Michael Clay

On 11 Dec 2003 10:14:08 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Michael Clay) brought forth from the murky depths:

Yer in luck, Chuck.

Got Mozzarella?

why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That one is way too short. This one is a bit better..but still to short.

?ViewItem&item=2210300710&category=475 The Buff kukri has a blade about 36" long and is capable of a two handed grip

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner