Sheet Metal Sticker Shock

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 14:06:26 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

I asked the steelmonger about that. He said that they were buying mostly scrap, but some fresh arn, too.

Ethanol is a losing proposition. I hope we don't waste any more money on it. I get 10-15% lower mileage with our newly mandated oxygenated fuels now. That's 10% ethanol here.

1000:1 that ain't gonna be DEEtroit stock, either.

-- The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man. -- Euripides

Reply to
Larry Jaques

========== When you no longer domestically produce "stuff" and your currency tanks compared to that of your supplier, and you gotta' have "stuff," you are *SCREWED,* be it oil or angle iron.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

========== check the price of hops.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

This is an era of technical break throughs. They have finally discovered how to turn lead into gold. I bought a 12"X12"X1/8" sheet of lead from Aircraft Spruce. $63.!! Invest in precious metals now includes lead.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Maybe aircraft lead is lighter. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Hi, Tim. You have investigated fabricating your device from scratch. Have you considered going the other way? Take a square or rectangular tube of the size you need and cut it to the shape you need. Add two spacers screwed to the walls so when you machine away the top, the sides remain parallel. Simple to make and the wall thickness is whatever you need. Perhaps you can find an aluminum extrusion that will be the basis of the structure.

And don't ask us to place that sensor on a circuit board for you. The specs look like pure smoke and mirrors. If you let it out of the box, it will die!

Paul Redmond, Oregon

Reply to
pdrahn

============= Good idea!

A little web surfing and I located a supplier of rectangular extruded aluminum tubing. 4 X 6 w/ 1/8 wall runs 18$ /ft, but if you cut the end at a slant for accessibility you should be able to get 2 housing per 18 inches.

This was one of the first sites I came to so some additional searching may get better prices. Also they offer cut to length and finish also.

these urls may also be helpful

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Maybe you should have your kid make them.

24" bench box break, should handle aluminum.

Cut out blanks using router and router guide

Or try this.

It will shear and bend.

A plywood drill fixture with a few drill bushings inserted could handle your holes.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Tip: Put the holes in last using a drill jig, and eliminate costs associated with close tolerances

Reply to
Jon

Hey Tim,

I saw this in a hobby shop for U$20 this afternoon and thought of you for some reason:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

And this could replace the troublesome angular position sensor:

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins