American wages

So you think that Union labor controls the economy.It is not labor but greed.

It is about Greed,....... Greed of the ceo's,Greed of the U.S. Politicians.

If China's wages rise 8% annually for the next five years, says a Boston Consulting Group study, the average factory hand will still earn just $1.30 an hour by then.

Wage gap closing . . . very slowly All U.S. workers need to do is be patient, and soon the wage gap that has sent so many U.S. jobs overseas to low-cost countries such China and India will be gone.

Yep, if U.S. workers -- or their children -- just wait a little while longer, then after a mere 32 more years of 10% raises, a Chinese worker making $100 a month -- well above the current official minimum wage of $87 a month, I admit -- will have closed the wage gap now separating the Chinese worker from the U.S. worker making $2,000 a month.

That assumes, of course, that the U.S. worker will not have received a single raise in those 32 years. If the U.S. worker has averaged even a

3.5% annual raise, the Chinese worker will need 50 years to close the wage gap

Millwright Ron

Millwright Ron

And then, finally, some companies are handling the rise in wages in countries such as China and India by moving operations to even lower- wage "platforms" such as Vietnam. Intel (INTC, news, msgs), for example, has decided to open a major test and assembly plant outside of Ho Chi Minh City. Vietnam beat out China, Malaysia and the Philippines in the contest for the 1,200-worker plant.

Millwright Ron

Millwright Ron

Yawn.... ... .. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In 2005, an average Chief Executive Officer (CEO) was paid 821 times as much as a minimum wage earner, who earns just $5.15 per hour. An average CEO earns more before lunchtime on the very first day of work in the year than a minimum wage worker earns all year.

"total overall labor costs" and not "unit labor costs." Millwright Ron

Millwright Ron

In 2005, an average Chief Executive Officer (CEO) was paid 821 times as much as a minimum wage earner, who earns just $5.15 per hour. An average CEO earns more before lunchtime on the very first day of work in the year than a minimum wage worker earns all year.

"total overall labor costs" and not "unit labor costs." Millwright Ron

Like you said: "A CEO EARNS more...." The key word here is "earns"!!! I want to see where you got your figures, I"m missing the other 820 parts of my pay.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yawn.... ... .. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's because you're in the wrong business.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Well, first you need to be publicly traded, have a compensation committee, get a golden parachute deal, ect.

I believe you own your company and you are entitled to everything you can get out of it. Not that I want to ever agree with Ron but some of these CEO's that make out no mater how bad their companies do is just wrong. There should be a penalty for failure. Front office or out in the plant.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Don't I know THAT!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You are certainly right! We read about the one in 100,000 companies that have the huge compensation packages while most firms' officers make a reasonable salary and work their asses off.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You're a pretty bad republican if you think like that. Good republicans never see anything wrong with any pay CEOs get no matter what the circumstances. Just being the boss means you deserve to be a multimillionaire no matter how bad you run the business.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Or the country?

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

All I'm going to say is I got a pay raise in the latest round.

And the progressives like Hawke and "too many tools" seem quite content to have the government make decisions about how much they should be paid, in addition to the other areas where they don't feel competent enough to make decisions.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I'm a stock holder in many companies, NOT overpaying the hired help is good business practice. CEO's are hired help.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

To clarify, since I posted to fast. Many CEO's are hired help, some are owners. World of difference between the two.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Care to tell us about some of the "good guys"?

Me and everyone else I know in business. Of the hundreds of thousands of businesses, a vast majority...any other remarks?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

They just don't get it. They know nothing about business and never will.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

=========== For a "best practices" benchmark for a "good Republican" see

-------------- Blackstone founder backs apocalyptic warning with $1bn

· Private equity tsar sets up anti-welfare foundation · US cannot sustain its public spending, he argues
  • Andrew Clark in New York * The Guardian, * Monday February 18 2008

One of the billionaire founders of the Blackstone private equity empire has set up a charitable foundation to warn Americans of a looming economic apocalypse if the nation persists with a culture of "entitlement".

Peter Peterson, a former US commerce secretary who established Blackstone in 1985 with Stephen Schwarzman, is devoting $1bn (£510m) of his estimated $2.5bn fortune to the new foundation, which paints a gloomy picture of the country's financial future. The fund will be run by the US comptroller general David Walker, who is resigning from the Bush administration to take up the job.

"We're going to be working very hard to keep America great and to make sure that America's future is better than its past, because America is at risk today," Walker said.

Among the fund's core aims is to spread a message propounded by

81-year-old Peterson for decades - that healthcare, social security and pension costs are unsustainable as the US's population ages. Together with "abysmally low" savings and a soaring budget deficit, Peterson argues that this will lead to a financial crisis.

But Peterson also argues for an abolition of "middle-class welfare" and for an end to budget deficits, saying they are storing up chronic problems. ============

We will keep cutting our workers wages until their savings rates improve, and they stop getting old and sick.....

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

=========== FWIW ................ Costly where it counts Some things are getting cheaper. But that's the stuff we can do without By Peter Y. Hong, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer March 9, 2008

Average weekly earnings in the private sector in 2007 were 15% below the 1972 peak in real terms, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Along with falling wages, we're paying more for benefits. Health insurance premiums rose 78% from 2002 to 2007, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Retirement costs more as well. We spent 4% more on pensions and Social Security in 2005 than in 1990 in real terms, census figures show.

And we're spending a lot more on education. Yearly total costs at some elite private colleges now exceed the U.S. median household income. Many public universities have steadily increased their prices too, and at UCLA, students shell out more for parking ($225 a quarter) and textbooks (more than $100 for a single tome in many classes) than generations of students paid for tuition at University of California campuses in the first half of the 20th century.

................... for complete article see

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Well, you got the last half right.

Reply to