Sherline Lathe Advice Needed

Hi All: I a m new to this group. I'm glad I found it. I have recently discovered an new hobby that I really like. I have been trying to restore old electric chime clocks. I am thing of buy a Sherline Lathe. I don't have a lot to spend, nad I have heard that Sherline is a resonable machine for the money.

Does anyone have any experience with these lathes. Where should I buy it?

My wife will even let me buy it. Costs about as much as that sewing machine that harld ever gets used.

Reply to
Finite Guy

In short, the Sherline products are excellent. When I bought mine two years ago, I had many questions, so I called the factory. I got excellent advice from the owner, Joe Martin. You'll find the best pricing from any of the Sherline dealers but my favorite is:

Perry

Reply to
Perry Murlless

While good machines, the Sherline is very limited with what you can do without adding expensive accessories. They are also very very small... Homier sells a 7"X12" mini lathe which is much more versatile and costs less $299...

Grizzly and Enco also sell these small lathes with various configuations for less than the sherline.

Reply to
kaferhaus

I looked at the Grizzly and Homier. They look better than the Sherline for the money. I guess I'm really confused about what to buy. The Sherline has some sort of manual screw thread attachment that you need to get and has no power feed? Must be some advantage over paying more for the Sherline but I can't see it. Sherline is American made, Grizzly is Chineese. Is that the problem? Robert

Reply to
Finite Guy

I suggest you sign on to the the Yahoo Sherline group and ask the question there.

I might go out on a limb and venture to say that Sherline machine users are generally satisfied with their machines.

My son has a 7 X 10 and I have a Sherline (as well as a number of full-sized lathes). I prefer the Sherline to the 7 X 10. The Sherline's hand-cranked threading attachment has its advantages. In certain situations with all my lathes, I generally turn off the power and hand-turn them as I'm approaching the end of a thread.

Regards,

Orrin

Good luck

Orrin