shocking product from China

We have been cleaning up after yet another Hurricane and my wife was putting back outside a mirror (designer type in frame) outside. So the better
we might look around a corner...
The mirror had a mark in the metal area - and it was mentioned in passing. I figured the typical blackened mirror from a scratch...
Wrong! - The break in the rear surface (protection layer) was small but in several areas. A long complex fuzzy deep brick RED (not black as in silver oxide) upon examination, I discovered it to be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar
Mercury! How can that be. Is there not an import regulation ? or export regulation ?
A hasmat item.
Martin
--
Martin H. Eastburn
From what I hear, nobody accepts the blame for such things. The importers just say that they didn't know. And they seem to get away with it. ----Like the lead paint issues that come up every now and then. I always thought "caveat emptor" was Latin, but I guess it's really Chinese.
Pete Stanaitis -------------- Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Mercury-silver amalgam was used for mirrors, but it's an expensive process, and was replaced first by chemical silvering, and then by vacuum aluminizing. And amalgam is even today used for dental fillings. You probably have a few in your mouth. I wouldn't get too excited about this.
If it's even true. It would take a lot of hydrogen sulfide fumes to convert the mercury back to cinnabar. The brick red may be protective paint, to keep a pure silver or aluminum film from corroding. I recall repairing mirrors like that.
Joe Gwinn
Joe -
The brick red is a crystal like growing set of harry lines. I figure a hard protective layer was put one to seal and it cracked in the hot sun.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:17:02 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"

From the Decorative Uses section of the link you provided:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar
"The most popularly known use of cinnabar is in Chinese carved lacquerware, a technique that apparently originated in the Song Dynasty.[10] The danger of mercury poisoning may be reduced in ancient lacquerware by entraining the powdered pigment in lacquer,[11] but could still pose an environmental hazard if the pieces were accidentally destroyed. In the modern jewelry industry, the toxic pigment is replaced by a resin-based polymer that approximates the appearance of pigmented lacquer."

More likely red resin-based polymer.
=========================================================== Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct!
Give me a break. There is no proper or wanted need to have this there. There isn't supposed to be there. It is a mirror. Silvery color to look into.
The resin-based polymer is a surface treatment to give a red color that was once Cinnabar. Now paint.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Larry Jaques wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

There are **NO** regulations in China. Haven't you been reading the news? They feed their own kids seriously tainted milk! Antifreeze is used as a sweetener in toothpaste, permitted by LAW! They use lead-based paint on toys sold to the US.
Where have you been?
Jon
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:33:45 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:

They have regulations, they just ignore them if it'll make money for the friends of those in high places (see "Bush Administration").
--
Tim Wescott

Conveniently ignoring the fact that it was Bill Clinton, not G.W. Bush, who ensured that China was awarded "most favored nation" trading status...

Which is why genuine economists consider Clinton to be an economic conservative. He bought almost the whole program: "free" trade, deregulation, limited welfare, balanced budgets, inflation-fighting, and so on. He was a Washington Consensus guy, from NAFTA to the IMF and the World Bank.
Bush is, too. The difference is that Bush doesn't have a clue about how the pieces are supposed to fit together. No Rhodes Scholar he, Bush just follows the economic programs he's told.
-- Ed Huntress
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:58:09 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"

<kaff>
I'd be willing to bet that most of our Presidents have -not- been Rhodes Scholars and have pretty much just listened to their economic advisors all along.
Shrub is Shrub; no further comment is necessary.
=========================================================== Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct!

Whatsamatta, you don't like economic conservatives? d8-)

Yup. But Clinton was not just listening to his advisors. In fact, he often didn't follow the programs suggested by Robert Reich, even though he valued Reich's economic expertise.
And it's a good thing Jimmy Carter was a smart guy who knew enough about economics to recognize that he needed to deep-six the entire Democratic economic philosophy. When he put Paul Volcker in charge, and Volcker started squeezing the economy to wring out the inflation, the Dems were screaming bloody murder. But Volcker was right; Reagan kept him on to finish the job; and he broke the back of inflation. Any Dem who was as clueless as Bush is would have kept following his party's doctrine until the country imploded. In fact, Bush almost did that himself -- and still might.

It's such a pleasure to be able to forget about him now. The damage has been done, and we'll be looking to others to try to undo it. It perks up my whole day.
-- Ed Huntress
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 22:44:30 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"

You made him sound so...so _human_, Ed. I can't get over it.

He was dat li'l four foot tall effer, wunt he?

Aw, hell, much of the damage he's done hasn't even filtered fully into the system yet. Even with the Dems in control, we'll be aching from his crap for long time to come. If OhDamnit and the evil Dems pick up the loose strings he left regarding our civil rights, we's in a heap 'o trouble, pard.
Oh a happier note, my copy of _The Way We'll Be: The Zogby Report on the Transformation of the American Dream_ came today. I'm hoping for some time on the weekend to open it.
=========================================================== Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct!
<snip>

Jeez, he's 4'10". Don't make it tougher than it is on the little guy. If Obama wins, he'll be baaaack.... I doubt if he'd have a functional role, however. He'd probably be a member of the Council of Economic Advisors, or something like that.
BTW, he wrote a book titled _I'll Be Short: Essentials for a Decent Working Society_. He does have a sense of humor about his height.

No matter which one is elected, I expect that my mood will improve along with that of the rest of the country. I don't blame Bush for the financial meltdown and I don't think either Obama or McCain can do anything to speed a recovery; they'll both support re-regulating the industry, and their economic programs, at least as they're proposing them, will take a long time to have any effect. Any recession that's on the way now is coming anyway.
-- Ed Huntress
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 03:06:39 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"

He'd almost have to, wot? ;)

You're probably right in all the above.
-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:01:15 -0700, Larry Jaques

Clinton had to be forced into welfare reform...3 times actually before his handlers told him he had to sign. Balanced budge? ROFLMAO...not even according to the CBO
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 03:40:23 -0700, the infamous Gunner

I wouldn't doubt it. I only followed his reign with contempt from afar, as I have Shrub's. And I still can't believe that you people (over half the voters each time) voted either one in for a freakin' _second_ term. I just don't believe it, sixteen years later.

Try to tell your Shrub, the man who single-handedly doubled the National Debt, about balanced anything...
-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 06:35:13 -0700, Larry Jaques

Care to tell us about other presidents who have doubled the National Debt?
Hint..they are all war presidents

His "handlers" had nothing to do with it. He struck a deal with Newt. What Clinton had to do was to get the Dems in Congress to support it, which he did.
Why do you suppose he did that? He had plenty of Dem support in Congress to block it, if that's what he wanted to do. If he had vetoed it, it would have died in childbirth.

Economics_, by Gunner. It's one of those blank-page diary books.
-- Ed Huntress
snip-----
No Rhodes Scholar he,
That may well be the wisest thing you've said, Ed, and you've said one hell of a lot of wise things.
Harold