short run stamping

I know almost nothing about stamping, but I'd like to find an outfit that can deliver a short run stamping of a component I have in mind.

18 or 20 gauge, roughly 3" square, a small hole (1/16") in each corner, with a bowl-shaped cavity approx. 3/4" deep, 2.5" diameter, stamped in the center. I'd like a glossy product, perhaps chrome plated.

If I can produce a sample to duplicate, any ideas what it might cost to create a thousand copies?

Reply to
Robert Barr

Do you furnish the die or dies or does the supplier fabricate them?

Reply to
Gordon

Supplier.

Reply to
Robert Barr

I'd guess about $0.50 each starting with part #2. Part #1 is going to cost about $8,000.00 (low end) It would be somewhat cheaper without the corner holes, punching 1/16" holes is a bitch. You could use glossy stock and not plate.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Where are you located?

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

Near Chicago.

Reply to
Robert Barr

If you are serious about this call me tomorrow at (949) 645-7601. If I understand the descrption correctly I think we can supply the part you need for under $1.00/ea and less then $2k tooling. We'd really like to see 3/32" or even even better 1/8" holes in the corners. Leigh at MarMachine

Reply to
CATRUCKMAN

If you do tooling that cheap I want to be your new best friend! I have a bunch of simpler parts I need dies for. I can make the parts on my presses and I have Solidworks models of the parts. (no itty-bitty holes!)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom, The Visi series has an excellent prog die module. Should you want tooling built let me have a sample file and I'll give you a price.

Reply to
J. Carroll

I was thinking perhaps midsummer, depending on tooling costs. Not sure if I'd ever recoup the cost, but sometimes it's worth a throw.

Here's the component in its native habitat:

As you can see, it's the top of a carburetor. These fit many manufacturing years of Jap motorcycles, and these particular parts tend to rust very easily -- sooner than just about any other part on the bike. The factory replacement part is obscenely expensive.

So its purpose is cosmetic replacement. See how it's not exactly chromed? However, on the inner carb (with the smaller arrow), you can see that it's even less glossy. Just stamped sheet metal of some sort.

Across the cylindrical top I measure 55mm. (About 2").

You can see where the small holes go. I could actually produce a jig and drill these manually, but wouldn't that have to precede any plating (due to rust concerns)?

snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM wrote:

Reply to
Robert Barr

Send me an e-mail address

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Just a though but why do these have to be plated steel?

Is a corrosion resistant material such as stainless steel an option? Anodized aluminium? Polymer?

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ............................... On Theory: Delight at having understood a very abstract and obscure system leads most people to believe in the truth of what it demonstrates.

G. C. Lichtenberg (1742-99), German physicist, philosopher. Aphorisms "Notebook J," aph. 77 (written 1765-99; tr. by R. J. Hollingdale, 1990).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

snipped-for-privacy@machiningsolution.com

Reply to
J. Carroll

To hell with stamping them, cast Al is the way to go!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

If you punch a hole through it, that'd be just as likely to rust.

Reply to
jtaylor

The idea is for them to resemble chrome, so bright stainless would probably do.

Later model bikes use a polymeric cover -- some type of fiber / nylon is visible in the material -- but they're matte.

Reply to
Robert Barr

Most likely trying to look like carbon fiber composite.

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ............................... On Theory: Delight at having understood a very abstract and obscure system leads most people to believe in the truth of what it demonstrates.

G. C. Lichtenberg (1742-99), German physicist, philosopher. Aphorisms "Notebook J," aph. 77 (written 1765-99; tr. by R. J. Hollingdale, 1990).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

========== Aluminum anodized to resemble the red/blue aeroquip metal hose fittings may also sell.

Solid platinum with diamonds and gold overlay may appeal to a certain segment of the yuppie bikers.