Shotgun chamber D reamer?

Picked up a 16ga SxS hammer gun yesterday. Steel (not damascus) barrels. Nothing fancy, made by Crescent but it's in great mechanical shape.

Has the old 2 9/16" chamber length. I want to take it out to the standard 2 3/4" chamber. Brownell's wants $175 for the reamer, and I probably wouldn't use it twice in my lifetime.

Any good reason not to make a quick D reamer for the job?

Bill

Reply to
BillM

Hi Bill,

I would check the working pressure of the 2-9/16" as the 2-3/4" will have a lot more grunt to push out the larger load. The barrel may not be designed to handle the CUP of 2-3/4".

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Shotshell pressures are all in the 6000 to 10,000 psi range, and have been for about ever. Lengthening chambers has been a stock in trade for the smiths for about as long. The longer shells are mostly to deal with the newer styles of wads that replaced the felt washers the were used for eons. The payloads are not appreciably larger, typically on either side of an ounce.

If you think the barrels and action will take it, have at.

Good opportunity to build a nice long forcing cone onto the chamber, if it is not already.

FWIW, there were some write-ups done a while back in Double Gun Journal, on the pressure results from shooting 12G 2 3/4" shells, in old

2 1/2" chambers. The rise in pressure that came about was far less than had been predicted, and came as a bit of a shock to the hand-wringers that were predicting a disaster.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Its doable, but its cheaper to rent the proper reamer

White Rock Tool & Die

6400 N. Brighton Avenue Kansas City, MO 64119 (816) 454-0478

Gunner, who has pondered doing this to his

1897 H. Piffer 12ga 2-1/12 x 40-64

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

They were nickle steel and Should be ok for light loads. NO Field Magnums. AA trap loads and the like.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Hmmm---I'm not seeing any rental info on the clymer or manson site. I've used their reamers for years on pistols/rifles, good stuff.

I do see the 16 ga reamer for rent here:

and at $28 it looks like I might go that way. Cheaper than $165 for a one-off job, and takes up very little of my time.

Agreed on the light loads. I've got 5 16's and that's all they get fed. I've got bigger shotguns if I want to go goose hunting, but there is just something about a slim light 16 that feels RIGHT for upland/quail/grouse.

Reply to
BillM

Hi Gunner,

But that's my point. With a 2-9/16" shot shells it is impossible to over load the design.

What happens if he reams it to 2-3/4" and later sells it? Or dies and the estate is sold off. A death trap waiting for an innocent.

I hate the phrase "should be OK" when it comes to guns and overloading the design.

Still each to his own.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

I'd be interested in the thickness of the metal from where your chamber ends to where the new one ends. If it doesn't change, I'd go for it, if it gets thinner, well there was a reason it was that thick at the end of the chamber.

Reloading might be safer if the metal gets thinner. You can make longer cases shorter.

Wes

Wes

Actually..It IS possible to over load. Many handloaders increase the pressures considerably. But normal factory loads should be safe

Hardly.

If someone if foolhardy enough to pump up the handloads for a 80 yr old mass produced to be cheap shotgun, its on his own head.

Indeed. Hence my comment about Field Magnums, which are verbage used around here at the least, to describe pumped up handloads

Shrug

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thats what I do with my H. Piffer. It came out of Africa..was a "forageing gun", shotgun on one side, rifle on the other, double hammers. The previous owner never did tell me what the rifled caliber was, but the barrel was sans any rifeling, so he sent it off to Oregon somewhere and had it rebored and rerifled to 40-64 Winchester, an evidently safe conversion considering Ive fired several thousands of rounds through that side.

I got about 10 boxes of ...humm...cant rember the manufacture...RWS?

2.5" shotshells, and Ive been shooting them up and reloading them on a MEC that I modified to load the short paper cases.

But its a pain in the ass anymore and I probably should ream it that extra 1/4" and forcing cone. Shrug...when I get a 'round tuit"

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Sounds like a neat gun, one barrel short of being a drilling and a bit lighter than one.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Indeed. I carry it a lot when on walkabout in the high desert. Takes birds within range, coyotes and wild boar quite well with that 350gr bullet

Gunner