Should I buy Another semi truck?

I just want to hear some words of wisdom. I have one semi tractor right now (and a few semi trailers). What I have is a 30 year old Ford
LNT9000 truck.
It is in a surprisingly good condition for its age because it was kept indoors. We keep it oiled to keep the rust at bay.
But, the problem that it had from Day one, is that it is underpowered, with a Cummins L10 it is only 250 horsepower. With a fully loaded semi trailer it can barely go 55 on a highway. Additionally, it is old and various things break on it from time to time. Nevertheless, it is a fully functional truck that we use 2-3 times a week on average.
The huge plus of it is that it cost me only $2,300 plus buyer premium, plus about 2,500 in repairs (fifth wheel, clutch etc), and it only has 370,000 miles on it.
Now I happen to have some spare money and I am kind of wondering what to do with it. Spend on myself, buy some commercial real estate, more equipment etc, or do nothing with it.
So, one of the choices is spending something like 20,000 or 30,000 on a newer semi tractor. Newer means 10 years old as opposed to 30.
What I am wondering about is whether it is even worthwhile. Even my current truck is driveable. I do not really care if it is slow and weak, I only make local trips up to 150 miles.
I may even want to have two semis if I get a CDL myself.
I wanted to hear from people who have "been there" to see if they have some words of wisdom about it.

If you never go to California and you don't run heavy loads everyday just keep the truck you have. If you are running fully loaded everyday then it might be worth a look for something with a little more torque.
Bob La Londe wrote:

You're good at math Iggy, just calculate the ROI on that 20-30K spent on a nicer tractor vs. the maintenance on the current one. Don't forget to consider if you will be taxed a lot more on a newer truck as well. My suspicion is you won't see any extra profits as a result of having a newer truck for your local hauling needs.

I will be taxed the same -- taxes are based on registered weight.
Ignoramus23449 wrote:

That's good, a number of states tax based on the value of the vehicle. Even so, if your current truck works fine with an occasional inexpensive repair I expect your ROI will be low to non-existant vs. other uses of those funds.
If you really want to throw away some money, feel free to send me donations for my Hermit Farm fund. I've found good property for said HF and am in the process of negotiating to acquire it.

Goodonya, Pete. How many acres, how far from (in)humanity?
I'd like to find a nice way-out farm location, too. I already live in Hermitville, but these pesky customers keep me around people far too much. If only I was independently wealthy.
Ig, ditto on Pete's request, if you want to lose some of your oodles of cash on a worthy cause. ;)
--
...in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm trying to get about 50ac of a larger piece. It's miles outside city limits :)

Once settled into the hermit farm, I expect to run Pete's Fix and Fab as a side thing and be the local fixit guy.

Per the news today, apparently we need to head to CA where some guy is doing a scavenger hunt kinda thing leaving cash around.

Pete, without getting into specifics, I am curious how much is the per-acre price on such lands? Are they suitable for farming? Any attractive landscapes or vegetation?
Ignoramus15108 wrote:

Prices from recent sales vary from $2k/ac to $3k/ac, though the higher prices had particulars that affected the cost, such as the land was adjacent to an existing property that was expanding.
The property in question is mixed wooded and pasture with a few stock ponds. The soils aren't bad for farming, though the area leans towards cattle grazing. Indeed it is quite common to lease land you aren't currently using for cattle grazing and that can bring in some nice side income.
This area also has a very good aquifer under it, and wells are fairly inexpensive ~$4K complete with pump and tank since they rarely need to go much over 100' deep. The area is in NE TX which is also in one of the lower drought levels on the drought maps: http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?TX

This is very nice. Is there road access?
The NE corner is close to Oklahoma, one of my favorite states.
Ignoramus15108 wrote:

Yep, most every property in the area is next to a road, some paved, some gravel county roads.

The NE corner of TX is a nice area, and close to OK. The area I'm looking in is within 10mi of the border.

Has someone already bought the large parcel? Is this a set of parcels being sold, so you'll have neighbors everywhere in a couple years?

How much game (wabbit, jackalope, porker, elk, deer) is in the area? Will you be feeding yourself from it? That sure beats $4-15/pound fer them store-boughten meats, ah reckon. And you can survive after the crash.
--
...in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
Larry Jaques wrote:

No, it's an odd shaped large piece that the listing indicates they will consider dividing. There is no way I could afford the whole thing unless I win the lottery, so I'm looking to get about 1/5 of it which I should be able to afford. This is an area where the smallest properties are 5ac or so and most are 25ac+ so it's not any sort of horrid development.

Deer, feral hog and turkey. Indeed when I took a drive around the property with the owners son last week we saw a turkey dissapear of into the brush.
Yep - grass area for certain. Gas under as well...
I'm in mid or south of central East Texas myself with 7ac. About half grass / house / shop.. and hardwood forest / creek.
Martin
On 5/28/2014 11:28 AM, Pete C. wrote:

$10K and above around here if it is farmable or buildable. A bit less for mixed bush with no building site.

Nice!

Fix what, though? Sounds like a plan, anyway.

Yeah, spend $60 in gas money to find a $60 stash!
--
...in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
Larry Jaques wrote:

It's also conveniently close to a couple friends I have in that area.

Tractor attachments, farm and ranch stuff. Lots of that around and if I'm semi-retired with my pretty well equipped shop I'll be positioned to provide fast repairs for most stuff.

Something like that I guess, though in the SF bay area where it seems to have started there is probably less driving involved.
--snippage--

Even better!

Sounds like a solid idea, and something people in that area will really need. Good luck to you, and have fun!

I heard he's doing it for the poor, but many of the poor don't have cars, cell phones, and credit cards to fill up the tank several times per week looking for clues. Someone needs to tell him there are much better ways to help them, like donating it to the Food Banks.

My sister lives in the Bay Area and puts 42k on her vehicle each year, and she's a self-employed Naturopathic Doctor. Californians live to drive.
--
...in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable

I agree. 90% of time I am not running fully loaded (close to 80,000 gross).
On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:11:41 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus23449 wrote:

You almost have to wonder if a marine trailer (w/ 30ft container) would be good to haul with. Hauling through Illinois, California and the NE is expensive.