Should I buy Another semi truck?

This is an excellent point, I forgot about that -- more hassles with newer trucks.

Ignoramus24415

Goodonya, Pete. How many acres, how far from (in)humanity?

I'd like to find a nice way-out farm location, too. I already live in Hermitville, but these pesky customers keep me around people far too much. If only I was independently wealthy.

Ig, ditto on Pete's request, if you want to lose some of your oodles of cash on a worthy cause. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm trying to get about 50ac of a larger piece. It's miles outside city limits :)

Once settled into the hermit farm, I expect to run Pete's Fix and Fab as a side thing and be the local fixit guy.

Per the news today, apparently we need to head to CA where some guy is doing a scavenger hunt kinda thing leaving cash around.

Reply to
Pete C.

Pete, without getting into specifics, I am curious how much is the per-acre price on such lands? Are they suitable for farming? Any attractive landscapes or vegetation?

Ignoramus15108

Prices from recent sales vary from $2k/ac to $3k/ac, though the higher prices had particulars that affected the cost, such as the land was adjacent to an existing property that was expanding.

The property in question is mixed wooded and pasture with a few stock ponds. The soils aren't bad for farming, though the area leans towards cattle grazing. Indeed it is quite common to lease land you aren't currently using for cattle grazing and that can bring in some nice side income.

This area also has a very good aquifer under it, and wells are fairly inexpensive ~$4K complete with pump and tank since they rarely need to go much over 100' deep. The area is in NE TX which is also in one of the lower drought levels on the drought maps:

Pete C.

This is very nice. Is there road access?

The NE corner is close to Oklahoma, one of my favorite states.

Ignoramus15108

Yep, most every property in the area is next to a road, some paved, some gravel county roads.

The NE corner of TX is a nice area, and close to OK. The area I'm looking in is within 10mi of the border.

Reply to
Pete C.

$10K and above around here if it is farmable or buildable. A bit less for mixed bush with no building site.

Reply to
clare

Yep - grass area for certain. Gas under as well...

I'm in mid or south of central East Texas myself with 7ac. About half grass / house / shop.. and hardwood forest / creek.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Nice!

Fix what, though? Sounds like a plan, anyway.

Yeah, spend $60 in gas money to find a $60 stash!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Has someone already bought the large parcel? Is this a set of parcels being sold, so you'll have neighbors everywhere in a couple years?

How much game (wabbit, jackalope, porker, elk, deer) is in the area? Will you be feeding yourself from it? That sure beats $4-15/pound fer them store-boughten meats, ah reckon. And you can survive after the crash.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No, it's an odd shaped large piece that the listing indicates they will consider dividing. There is no way I could afford the whole thing unless I win the lottery, so I'm looking to get about 1/5 of it which I should be able to afford. This is an area where the smallest properties are 5ac or so and most are 25ac+ so it's not any sort of horrid development.

Deer, feral hog and turkey. Indeed when I took a drive around the property with the owners son last week we saw a turkey dissapear of into the brush.

Reply to
Pete C.

It's also conveniently close to a couple friends I have in that area.

Tractor attachments, farm and ranch stuff. Lots of that around and if I'm semi-retired with my pretty well equipped shop I'll be positioned to provide fast repairs for most stuff.

Something like that I guess, though in the SF bay area where it seems to have started there is probably less driving involved.

Reply to
Pete C.

--snippage--

Even better!

Sounds like a solid idea, and something people in that area will really need. Good luck to you, and have fun!

I heard he's doing it for the poor, but many of the poor don't have cars, cell phones, and credit cards to fill up the tank several times per week looking for clues. Someone needs to tell him there are much better ways to help them, like donating it to the Food Banks.

My sister lives in the Bay Area and puts 42k on her vehicle each year, and she's a self-employed Naturopathic Doctor. Californians live to drive.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You almost have to wonder if a marine trailer (w/ 30ft container) would be good to haul with. Hauling through Illinois, California and the NE is expensive.

Reply to
mogulah