small loop clock chain source or jig?

Hi all. I need a source for or a jig to make some clock chain. The chain needs to be made of .06" (1.5mm) wire and comprised of 30 links per foot.

I have a source for 1.8mm wire, 33 links per foot chain. I'm not sure this will work flawlessly.

I'm trying to avoid making the chain one link at a time. I have some preliminary drawing of a jig to produce several links at a time. Basically it's round edged flat stock supported on each end so I can mount it in the lathe to wind the wire on slowly by hand.

The wire I have is soft and will require some hardening to be strong enough.

Ideas are welcome. Cheers! Ian

Here's the clock that the chain will go into.

Here's a jig for making small ladder chain I found along the way. Thanks Ron!

Ian Timshel

The standard jeweler's method is to wind a coil and saw the top wire(s); the loops drop off and either collect on the saw blade or disappear under the work bench.

Then you silver solder a bunch of single links on a charcoal block; make units of three with the centre one to be soldered, then units of seven, fifteen, etcetera...

Reply to
jtaylor

=================

That is the standard for making jump rings and would be ever so attractive if I could use round links. The links aren't round though. I'm looking to make the links in their final form. Thanks for taking a swing at it. Cheers! Ian

Reply to
Ian Timshel

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:31:17 -0600, Ian Timshel wrote: ================

Then why not wind the coil on a bobbin of the correct shape?

Reply to
Brian Lawson

=================

That's kind of where I'm at. Flat stock shaped to suit. The material I'm working with is plenty soft enough to handle that method. The only drawback I can see is that it would not be adjustable and it would be good to have it adjustable through a narrow range.

Even 0-80 set screws would look big on suitable material. hmmm If the bobbin was split to allow it to be spread or retracted the jig could be dialed in very closely to reproduce exactly what was required.

Or maybe two rods of suitable diameter, but a method of adjusting the spacing between such small materials is not coming to me willingly. heh

Steady pins wouldn't be troublesome to include, but I'd love to find a means of adjusting the spacing at either end so one could mic the bobbin to ensure it was parallel then be off to the races.

Thinking out loud is necessary some days. An adjustable block at each end that retained the steady pinned rods would work.

Thanks for the sounding board crew. I think I've enough to go on to do some sketching. Cheers! Ian

Reply to
Ian Timshel

Make 'em round, squish the coil to the right form, cut, solder,solder,solder...

Easy to make a round form a tiny bit bigger/smaller until you get one that squshes just right.

Reply to
jtaylor

Possibly. Thanks for taking a crack at this. Cheer! Ian

Reply to
Ian Timshel