Small chain needed

I need some small chain (roller chain) for a 1/8 scale 1908 race car I am building. I remember seeing ads some time ago for 1/8 inch pitch chain, but cannot find it now. Small Parts and other suppliers do not seem to have anything smaller than 1/4 pitch, which is too big. Any suggestions on where I can find small drive chains?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

Try a jeweller?

Reply to
Jeff C

Would this work?

Allen (if the link doesn't, go to Micromark.com and search for chain)

Reply to
Allen Epps

When I needed small chains I'd go to a department store and buy cheap necklaces.Pull them apart and plenty of chain. hth

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Do you mean like a very timy bicycle chain? If so I've seen some really small stuff in very high end optical equipment. For the life of me I can't remember what piece of equipment but I think it was a large format machine setup to handle rolls.

Reply to
Ron

Check Kmart Target ect. Plent of cheap Jewelry. The Dollar store always has cheap necklaces too. I don't know if the style chain you need can be found there or not.

Definitely try Hobby Lobby. They have a DiY jewelry section.

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
M Bryant

Yes, roller chain. Jewelry chain will NOT work. This is 1/8 scale, so jewelry chain, anchor chain, etc. won't work. It is like bicycle chain, but that is 1/4 pitch, and I need half that size.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

check rc supplies and servo companies, too.

OK, thought that was what you meant. Check into instrument companies/suppliers. It's made, finding it is the problem. You might try German, Japanese or Korean sites, I know I've seen what you want in equipment made in those places.

Reply to
Ron

Try WM Berg. They make small precision parts. The smallest roller chain they carry is .1475" approx 3.5mm. The link is below.

HTH Warren I'm feeling much better now.......

Reply to
Rusty12759

When I was at Al's Hobby in Elmhurst over Thanksgiving, I saw some photo etch sets for motorcycle kits that probably has just what you're looking for - a photo etch representation of roller link cycle chain. Two etched parts for the side plates, and I don't know what for the rollers.

Might want to look for something like that.

Reply to
Rufus

I was going to post this question myself, but Don saved me the trouble. I also need chain, but in 1/48 for the Wright Flyer. Anyone have any ideas?

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

Heres an idea that I am not sure of but needs to be checked. They make toy scale BMX bicylces that I never could understand why a kid would play with. Anyway I am not sure if they have a chain on them or not. I have seen these at Toy stores as well as dollar stores. I guess maybe they don't sell well. Anyway it may be worth a look. Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
M Bryant

Wouldn't I be restricted to the same shaft to shaft centerline of the motorcycle? The distance on this car is considerably greater than that of a motorcycle. If the chain has individual links, fine, but I am assuming from what you say that the chain is in two pieces- an inside and outside side plate.

Don

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota