~Hawk Model WW I Airplanes (Fokker D8, D7; SPAD; Sopwith; etc.)110404

Available in 1930-1945 years in some model shops around Chicago. Assembled 8 or 9 of them using metal die-cast engines/props/wheels, etc. with thread to simulate wing spars. A memorable experience I'd like our Grandsons' to enjoy someday. I'm 84 now, but thinking of Grandsons' and so should you. Probably a collectors' item by now. Just thought some Model Builder out there might have heard of the company. Still in business ? Kindest regards. Have a super Xmas Holiday !

Reply to
L H

Hawk is gone with their stuff being sold to Testor's (the otherwise paint people), but these kits haven't been in decades. I have seen some old wooden Hawk and Strombecker kits on eBay, but they aren't cheap at all. Expect to pay at least $40.00 and usually more - a hell of a lot more. My first kit (that I can remember was a Strombecker Lockheed FV-1 Salmon. Wooden fuselage and plastic wings, rear stab and props. Cost my sister's mistake $.39 when new. On eBay, it went for about $200.00. Good luck though, I hope you find some.

The Old Timer

Aahh, yes! I have a couple of the old Hawk balsa kits in my stash just to show "the kids" how we used to do it. Red and white checker board design on the box, SE5, RE8, Nieuport 17 and DeH4. There were others. The Sopwith Camel and a couple of the others were originally "Maircraft" kits, then Hawk bought out Maircraft and added their kits to the Hawk line. These turn up fairly regularly, along with other kits from the "Balsa wood age" on Gasoline Ally Antiques' web site, figure $40 to $60.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey