Model airplanes are Dangerous!!

I was searching for clubs in the Tucson area and just happened to run across this site by Gary Lowe mailto: snipped-for-privacy@midohio.net

Scioto Township Park Project

No dates when this information was posted but....!

Reply to
Guy Fuller

Well, he didn't mention model airplanes being used as weapons by terrorists. He should have consulted with Dave Brown.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

He also forgot to mention Golf, Football, Baseball, Soccer, etc and the list goes on. How about sitting at his computer??

Reply to
Guy Fuller

Does anyone have a figure of how many people/year is killed by golfballs?

I doubt that modelplanes has killed/injured more people.

Reply to
GuW

Yeah, but golfballs tend to kill golfers. Nobody cares. Its always the story about the model airplane hitting a little girl - complete with gory diagrams in the newpaper - that gets the community up in arms.

Reply to
MikeF

I dont know when this was either. The club needs/needed a good public relations campaign to get their side out. AMA Flying Site Assistance Program can give some guidance as well as AMA Safety Code and certificates of additional insured. I have to assume that the actual flying is on the side of the runway AWAY from the ball and soccer fields. If the flying is over the fields then that is a violation of the AMA Safety Code "one side of the line" rule and flying should occur. Anyone know the results of this? Earle