Small Welding Thingy!

OK, I'm not sure of the proper title for this particular machine but I've seen them around and I'm hoping you can give me the proper British name of the
machine.
Usually bench mounted and small for a welding unit. And I've seen them used to weld small chain links or pieces of mesh, simply by the act of lining up the link or mesh and pressing down on the top briefly.
Have I dreamed this bit of kit or does it actually exist?
TrailRat wrote:

them around and I'm hoping you can give me the proper British name of the machine.

weld small chain links or pieces of mesh, simply by the act of lining up the link or mesh and pressing down on the top briefly.

A spot welder possibly, I've got one similar to these http://www.tecna.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&idb%3Aportable-spot-welders-items-7900-7902-7903-2-6-kva-at-50&catid6%3Aportable-spot-welders-&Itemid 4&lang=en or http://www.toolbaydirect.co.uk/catalogue/product/Spot--Stud-Welders/237/Tecna-20kVA-Spot-Welder-Gun-240v/165692 / for a bit shorter URL or http://www.diywelding.co.uk/?i9471
On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 20:12:41 +0100, David Billington

seen them around and I'm hoping you can give me the proper British name of the machine.

to weld small chain links or pieces of mesh, simply by the act of lining up the link or mesh and pressing down on the top briefly.

Spot welder or "resistance" welder

Possibly a PUK welder. They are made by a company called Lampert, see http://www.lampert.info/web/en The name comes from the sound made when a weld is produced.
--
Regards, Gary Wooding
(To reply by email, change gug to goog in my address)

seen them around and I'm hoping you can give me the proper British name of the machine.

to weld small chain links or pieces of mesh, simply by the act of lining up the link or mesh and pressing down on the top briefly.

I'm glad it doesn't stand for Plutonium, Uranium, Potassium. That'd have a nasty welding character.
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Maybe google for battery tab spot welders - home brew & otherwise.

Resistance welder.
Steve