So Cal School auction 9-6-03

So. Cal RCMers take a look:

regards, Jim

Reply to
JK

Hello,

Went to my first auction to buy machinary today. Went to the LAUSD auction I saw posted here last night. Was interesting, though really hot. Met a lot of nice people there.

I saw a gigantic Cincanatti horizontal mill go for 45$ and a wind tunnel for

125$. I want a mill, but for some reason could not get myself to bid on it. Looks like it weighs 10k pounds. The sign said the school forklift could not lift it, so I figured was bigger then I could handle right now anyway.

I did screw up in another way though. Bought a Pexto foot shear for 75$, but the moment I bid the guy next to me says it has no blades, and no one else bid on it. So I am the new owner of a bladeless shear. Not sure how bad a move this was, I expect replacements blades will cost a fortune making this a bad deal. Anyone know where to scrounge some up?

Here is a bad pict of the shear along with a good one and a pict of that horizontal mill.

is the one in white

Anyway, another day in the long adventure of building a shop gone awry

Reply to
V8TR4

[...]

Actually those blades only cost about $300 for a set. Check with blade sharpening shops for used ones.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I expect replacements blades will cost a fortune making this a bad deal. Anyone know where to scrounge some up?

mine is the one in white

Don't consider it a bad deal, it's just another project. You will now be justified to buy a mill when you see one you like, just to make the shear blades you need. No excuse not to buy one, and a surface grinder would be handy to sharpen them blades. You got the bug my friend it never ends, i got bitten about 40 years ago and there is no cure, i hope you have as much fun and derive the pleasure of makeing it your self as many of the other folks that post here do.

Good luck with your shop.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
AZOTIC

Check with Leigh, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com he often has them.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

I had checked to make sure they had blades beforehand, was the first thing I did. but I somehow missed checking this one. I had not heard of the auction till last night so missed any previewing and was too hurried. Next time I will get there earlier and certainly inspect more thoroughly.

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

V8TR4

another caveat Be aware of pallets, shelves, or cabinets that may contain chemicals. You may end up with some hazardous waste that you have a hard time getting rid of. Is it fair to leave it behind? I think so but you may have other ideas. lg no neat sig line

Finally, the "odd lots", generally pallets of crap that didn't have a category, can be either good or trash. This is where the real "bargains" are made and lost. Take the time to scavenge and see if there is stuff you can actually use. I picked up one lot that included many measuring tools (including starrett micrometers, etc), for 5 bucks. This stuff was at the bottom of a pallet box among empty measuring tool boxes. Included in this lot were a great many other things I have used also.

However, the caveat is: Just becasue a lot goes for a buck or two doesn't mean it might have hidden treasures. You could be paying to throw away the trash for the auctioneer. If you can't use it or sell it immediately, walk away.

Reply to
larry g