Soft jaws for Clausing 5914 lathe?

I am a registered (albeit infrequent) reader. The photos really help.

It turns out that MSC has steel jaws for about $21 each (76553791) and aluminum for $28 each (08637274). These have integral 0.500" keys machined right in, so location should be more precise.

I also need to see which sprocket on the chuck gives the best repeatability.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I ended up buying a set (MSC # 01933480), and they fit tightly and work very well.

I did number the soft jaws 1..2..3 so I'll put them back on the chuck always the same way.

I recall you warming about the danger of getting clipped by the spinning big jaws. This is a real danger. I didn't get clipped, but there was a close call. That would have HURT. I may make a guard cover.

I would guess that pie jaws are safer.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn