Source for a part

I am looking for a part. It is a "pulley" as far as I know to call it. It is cast iron, and attaches to a motor with a set screw to tighten it to the motor shaft which is near as I can tell 1/4" with a flat spot for the set screw.

What I have now is about 1-1/2 " in diameter and fits a very small belt about 1/8 or 3/16" thick, and what I need would be the same size but should fit a thicker belt like perhaps 3/8" ... I am guessing at some of the sizes because it is not in front of me at this point.

Point is, whenever I ask for a pulley people direct me to those things you hang clothes lines on. I am assuming now that I am merely asking for the wrong thing. So the question is, what should I be asking for, and perhaps who might carry these..

Thanks

Reply to
Absinthe

The first place I would look is a farm supply store. Look for where they sell big electric motors first, then maybe around where they sell sprockets, bearings, etc.

Dave

Reply to
David A. Webb

Yes, pulley is fine, "sheave" sometimes.

Cast iron? Unlikely you'll find one. Search for industrial supply, those that specialize in transmission (gears, belts, pulleys, bearings).

McMaster Carr is sure to have some.

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:54:59 GMT, Absinthe put forth the notion that...

Try asking for a sheave.

Reply to
Checkmate

Yes, sheave or a motor pulley. An appliance repair store will have a few too.

JohnF

Reply to
JohnF

Sorry, I am an idiot. I just meant to just say "cast" aluminum or zinc or whatever. Not cast-iron.

Reply to
Absinthe

What you want is a "fixed bore sheave". In smaller sizes they are usually die-cast zinc alloy. You need to know 3 dimensions. First is the outer diameter. Then the bore size to fit the motor shaft which is usually 3/8", 1/2" or 5/8" for that size sheave and finally the belt type. V-Belts come in (from smallest to largest)3L, 4L, 5L, A, B, C and several others. A 3/8" wide belt is probably a 3L.

There is a fourth dimension called the "pitch diameter" which is used for calculating the ratios between two sheaves. For 3L belts this is about 1/2" less than the OD.

So what you need is a 1 1/2" 3L sheave with a bore of what ever size your shaft is. Not likely you will find it at Ace or the Home Despot. In fact if you asked a clerk he would avoid you next time to keep his ignorance hidden. If you have a Grainger in your town they can fix you right up. If they don't have it in stock they can have it in the next day or two.

Abs> I am looking for a part. It is a "pulley" as far as I know to call it. It is

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Or look under bearings in the phone book. They often have pulleys or would know who does.

Reply to
Derek Hartzell

I would go to True value or Ace hardware stores.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

Yes. Try

and look under the "Power Transmission" heading for "V-belt Pulleys". David

Reply to
David Courtney