Source for good Machete

Anyone have a source for a good quality machete? I had a genuine US Army one years ago. It was stolen. They used my truck to carry it away. The made-in-China junk is worthless. I need one with some good metal.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

I've got a couple of these:

're pretty well made and if you do a careful wrap of the grip area with para cord it's downright good handling.

Reply to
Simon Jester

Most any surplus store worth their salt will have a GI issue machette. Have you tried a google search?

I have a brazilian military machette that is really nice........and also a few GI types. Handy to have especially when clearing vines and bamboo thickets. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Just to add my $.02. If you can find anything, that says "Collins Co.", not just "Collins", buy it. These were made in Collinsville Conn. & are rare. Much better than the ones made in Brazil.

My grandfather worked for the Collins Co., & I grew up in Collinsville. I have a rather large collection of machetes, axes, & hammers, made by the Collins Co.

Reply to
Gary A. Gorgen

Try;

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

In my youth I spent a summer in East Texas on a survey crew and most of that time was cutting lines of sight. So I like a machete with a wood handle. Plastic is too slippery when you are sweating and the plastic handles are usually a bit small and uncomfortable.

I also do not want one that has metal that is too hard to file. Much better to carry a file in the scabbard and sharpen the machete several times a day. You also need to remove a lot of metal when you first sharpen the machette so that the tapered area is about an inch wide.

I think the size and handle are much more important than the steel used.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Andy Asberry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

When we visited Guatemala in 2000 there were machetes everywhere. Saw lots of people even using them to cut grass by the highway. Near as we could figure each Guatemalan was issued one at birth!

Reply to
Hitch

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:26:07 GMT, Andy Asberry calmly ranted:

I saw lots of official US Army-issue (Brits, too) 'chetes on *b*y last week. I think they wanted $10 for them.

- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've heard that before but never saw a US made one. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Look around for a copy of Shotgun News (news stand, etc). Someone probably has them for sale at a reasonable price.

Reply to
keith bowers