Source / Price for Mild Steel welding rod for Oxy/Acetylene

I make sculpture, primarily with oxy/acetylene torch, and a lot of 3/32 copper coated mild steel welding rod (3 foot lengths). I'm
buying at my local welding shop, and paying $3.00 per pound. I go through hundreds of pounds per year, so I was hoping I might be able to bulk order online somewhere. I've tried Google, tried looking up the manufacturer directly (they seem to be a distributor, not retail oriented).
Any ideas ? Is $3.00 per pound reasonable ? I'm in Eugene, Oregon, if that matters.
thanks for any help.
- jud http://judturner.com /
You might want to just do a bulk buy through your supplier and haggle hard for a good discount. Worth a try.
snipped-for-privacy@judturner.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@judturner.com wrote:

First thing is, you should open a cash account with your welding supply store. At the ones I deal with in Washington, that immediately gets you about a 33% discount on many items.
Then price elsewhere.
You can certainly get much better price per pound online.
Here are two of my favorite online welding supply houses:
https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/browsecatalogs.pl?UNDEF :: http://tinyurl.com/2vzt6m
$1.52/# at the first one; $1.57/# at the second. You'll have to compare price after shipping, of course.
Grant

Too many $$ for that kind of useage. You are talking about 1/4 to 1/2 a pallet per year.
If you have a printout from a couple of online suppliers, take them to your local supplier with the paper folded neatly in your back pocket. Explain that you would like to buy in quantity, perhaps 100 to 200 pounds at a time. And that you would like the best (better) price. And how might the dealer HELP you achieve this?? Maybe with a bulk order? Or he stocks and you pick up? Now given that you are probably buying a LOT of O2 and acetelyne, he should be more than happy to see about accomodating you.
If that still runs to a blank wall, you should indicate that you have gotten quotes from others at a much better price but that you would certainly like to buy local even if it was a bit more. Convienece, local economy, and all that.
And if that doesn't work, thank him for his prior support and indicate you will use other suppliers in the future.
Grant had a couple of suppliers, a year supply on a truck freight shipment shouldn't be too expensive. Or travel to the nearest large town and a major dealer. Call ahead, they may deal directly.
snipped-for-privacy@judturner.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@judturner.com wrote:

You might look at Enco (www.use-enco.com). They advertise E70S2 which I think is the standard copper coated steel rod used with O/A for $22 for 10# of 3/32" rod.
I bought it for GTAW use and it works fine at about 1/3 what my local welding shop was getting.
Regards, Bob
snipped-for-privacy@judturner.com wrote:

The specific wire you want is RG45
Here it is for $1.50/lb.
<http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/RG450xx36.html?id=EtmbMf3 6>
If you order in bulk from them you may get it even lower, plus you can arrange a truck freight shipment instead of UPS.
On May 1, 5:49 pm, snipped-for-privacy@judturner.com wrote:

Jud- What do you for O/A?. You must use a lot of that also. Make your own? -Mike

I do consume a lot of O/A, though I mostly weld the wire on a pretty low flame, so it's not too bad. I didn't figure I could have those shipped any cheaper than I get at the supplier, so I only asked about the rod.
Which, apparently I'm paying too much for. Thanks all for the info, links, and suggestion about approaching my current supplier. That's why this place is great. Much more informative here than on some of the arts groups I participate in.
thanks all !!
On 1 May 2007 15:49:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@judturner.com wrote:

Hi jud,
Something else you might try is looking at MIG wire. It should be easy to find in .045 inch size, but should also be available in 1/16 inch and possibly even bigger. Just reel off what ever length you want to use and cut. See this link for Lincoln's catalog on MIG wire for carbon steel:
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/c410.pdf
That should give you an idea of what is available. They list it in packages up to 1000 lbs.
This site has .045 in up to 500 lb reels/coils:
https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?Next::7:UNDEF:OR:C::PC
I'm not too sure how the price compares, they show "ED020526 L-50 .045 500Lb AD $630.00" which works out to around $1.27 a pound I believe. And of course there would be shipping.
Just a different thought, idea...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

-
I've found that wire coat hangers work ok for O/A welding if the weld isn't too critical.
Tony

My old Dad told me that was what they used for their Model A's and T's. He said it worked better than rod because it could be hammered smooth afterward.
Steve