Sources for "real" music wire

Well if we could set the wayback machine to 1972 or so, Logansport Indiana, Bickels Bike and Hobby Shop, you need to walk past a wooden railing in the back, go hard left, and there it is in tubes. Next to balsa and small brass tubing. Check out the Cox engines in the display case, maybe buy the pulse jet thingy. The price for fuel for glow plug engines would make you smile now.

If you are into slot cars or HO stuff, go down stairs, pass the lines of Schwin bicycles, ignore that Collegate model, the one with the Sturmy Archer 3 speed hub will handle the paper route that is funding the visit and go to the back for the track for the big boys. Oh baby!.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Some years ago (20?) o bought some K&S to make some springs. It turned out to be hard drawn wire, not real carbon steel piano wire. Once annealed, it could not be hardened like the real stuff they sold before that. In the late

60s to late 70s I kept an old '62 Norton motorcycle going, using my own home made parts. Kick starter return springs could just be made from a yard of hobby shop piano wire. The later stuff was no good. I had to buy a 12 foot length of ground all over, which is much the same as drill rod, but the diameter is not so accurately controlled.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.