Speaking of car ramps

I believe you. Before crawling under I push hard on the bumper sideways, and try to only heave (or jack) the bar up or down. If I have to pull sideways I pull against the vehicle. Sometimes turning the socket 90 degrees helps position it better.

There just isn't always enough space for my air wrench.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I save the little cutoffs from welding jobs and weld them as feet under my jack stands and steel ramps. They are enough to keep the ends from slicing into wood, if not hot asphalt.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

No risk. I've done it many hundreds of times to move vehicles out of the way in the shop. Just stay clear of the oil pan on the back or you'll warp it. The nut (diff) is a stable jack point, though.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Who needs jack stands when you wish to weld up your gas tank?

Larry Jaques

Did it all the time as a mechanic. 3 ton or better trolley jack under the diff - pump it up and pup the jack stands in.

Reply to
clare

That all depends, Gunner. If when it breaks loose when you are pushing it rams you knuckles into some real nasties, you pull. If when it breaks loose suddenly you pitch forward and risk a fall, you pull. I(almost) always find I have better control when I pull on a wrench - but make sure I don't line up my schnozz with where the wrench or fist will end up when it lets go!! I have a lot finer control when my contracting muscles are doing the job than when my mass is doing the job.

Some of the older SK tools were very fine tools. Some of the later stuff - leke everyone elses, is pure unadulterated CRAP.

Reply to
clare

Yabbut, it's when you've tried everything you could do safely and it still doesn't budge. Every angle with every tool that will even slightly fit. That's when it bites you, but you DO break it loose. When you put a long box wrench on it and use a sledge and log to move that, and it still doesn't work, you have to put your hand down there. That's usually when the engine is at 490F and the exhaust manifold is still red hot, y'know?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My 1-1/4T mini trolley has picked up every pickup and 4-door I've tried it on. Smooth as silk.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Jim Wilkins" on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 06:45:43

If you don't have a good jack, I can see not attempting it.

But it is SOP for shops (home or professional) when you need to work on both wheels. Or even one Fastest way to get it in the air to put the stands under the axle.

pyotr filipivich