Speed Multiplier

I am getting closer to firing up the KMB1 with the new controls. I am getting more and more anxious about whether its going to be all that useful to me. Oh, I will use it, and its standard speed range will be fine for roughout iout some of the larger parts I need to make for other projects, but for what I do most it just doesn't turn fast enough. I need to find a solution that gets cutter speed up into the

25-35K range. I considered not even hooking up the big spindle motor and just putting a clamp on the spindle with for one of those 1.5Kw ER11 water cooled spindles off of one side. I also considered just doing the same thing with one or two of the little routers I am using as spindles on the little machines.

I've looked at speed multiplers, but most of them are seriously expensive. I could buy 5 or 6 of the little water cooled spindles with a VFD for what they want for some of them. Heck 30 or 40 of the little routers. Then there is still the issue of mounting it on the Kwik 200 spindle which still has some parts available, but not many.

Any suggestions or comments? Guidance?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

PaulS

Looks like an option for an air driven high speed spindle. Not necessarily a bad solution, but I am still left looking for two important things. Price and how to mount it on my kwik 200 spindle. I do have air in the shop and plan to put in a bigger compressor soon, but I'm not sure an air turbine spindle is all that efficient. Are you using them?

Reply to
Bob La Londe