Spindle Tach

Anyone in here good with electronics? I would like to build a digital spindle tach with multiple input selection on strobe signal. I would like to mount to the wall above my bench, then run sensor wires to both my lathe and my mill.

Reply to
Grady

why strobe? you are doing this the hard way. use a prox sensor (keyance makes them, for example) and a programmable tach - red lion, minarik, even the one that Spehro Pefhany sells - what is your purpose with these measurments, spindle speed or something else?

Reply to
william_b_noble

If you decide to buy instead, check out this one:

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Thanks. BTW, here's an installation report with photos that Scott W. sent me (on a woodworking lathe, but same diff):

Skip's tacho (mentioned in another post) uses my module inside as well, BTW.

Two pickups can be switched with a DPDT toggle (diagram on last page of this manual:

Either is about 100.00.

I've also got some laser handheld tachs if you'd prefer that, for less money. And an automotive multimeter coming up for that kind of RPM (inductive pickup off the sparkplug).

Does anyone use stroboscopes these days? I've made a prototype digitally controlled strobe that might be good for looking closely at the operation of machinery with linkages and that sort of thing, but no real plans to produce it at this point.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Strictly spindle speed. I figured strobe would be cheaper than prox. I am not against anything that will work well under vibration and not cost an arm and a leg, and that I can assemble myself.

Reply to
Grady

Yes I have a Stroboscope - black box type not the newer gray models. I have to re-new the power supply - electrolytic have gone. It is ~ 50 years old. But Paid for!

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I hear ya! I have an old General Radio strobe at work and it's still the best one I've ever used....

Reply to
Rick

At the bottom for cost would be a bicycle speedometer. I use a Sigma Sport on my drill press. By using the kph mode and setting the circumference to 1666mm (IIRC), the speedometer reads in 10's of RPM. E.g., 30 kph at 300 rpm. It uses a magnet and pickup. Works to about

3300 rpm, IIRC.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Oops, forgot to add: that bike speedometer is currently on sale for $13.95.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I use one of Spehros laser tachs and its DAMNED NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use it at least 2-3 times a week and its dead nuts accurate out to surprisingly long distances.

Thanks again!

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner