Srings R Us

I'm helping "the kid" with a new venture. He's making about 50 M2 tripods.

I get to CNC machine a few (well several) parts and will keep five tripods out of the deal. I just made the first prototype run yesterday. I'll set up the CNC lathe for production over the next couple days. Same thing with the CNC mill.

Anyway, this unit needs half a dozen odd ball springs. Is there a better source than McMaster Carr out there?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Cool. Are you doing the brass swivel bushing and the T&E mechanisms?

Have you tried any of the larger spring makers, like

or
?

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Vlier is one of the big names in spring pins and ball plungers:

they might sell direct, they at least have an RFQ form.

Looks like you can also request modifications to stock items, probably a good chance they can cover your needs.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

First, a typo, we're making an M3 tripod. At least the first few are using a steel bushing. The idea is to keep price low. I bought a T & E. It wouldn't be hard to make, maybe make a bunch later.

Our next project will be an MK93 shock mount

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

A search for "M3 tripod" brings a $1200 item.

The original "m2 tripod" search gave me a sub-$300 item.
I think you can beat the M3 price pretty easily.

Offer 'em up front for an extra fee, as KeepShooting does?

Where'd they come up with -that- price, anyway?

Got ammo?

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh hell yes. Be sure to make a bolt down pintle mount for the box of your Toyota pick-up (Toyota pick-ups seem to be the brand choice of warlords everywhere) so you can have your very own Somalia style "technical". Maybe get some Sub-Saharan Africa looking gangsta sun glasses and one of those hajib doo-rags wrapped around your face to complete the look. Then, when the revolution heats up, you can drive around and blast holes in building walls until your city looks just like downtown Mogadishu.

And who wouldn't want to live in Mogadishu? Dave :)

Reply to
dav1936531

Na, look at it the other way. If things turn into Mogadishu, it would be good to be needed by the folks driving those toyotas around.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend