coolant antifreeze

spent the day yesterday helping the kid get his new shop up and running...

Ain't no way he'll have it it tight enough to heat 24X7 for a MN winter this year. many years ago, I took old car radiator coolant to use in my old shop - just added oil. Well, 30 years later I guess this is bad form. Will RV antifreeze plus oil work OK in his CNC mill? Other suggestions?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Well at least it's not poisonous . -- Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Greetings Karl, I don't know how anti freeze will affect the coolant but I wouldn't be surprised if had a negative effect. What about putting some mixed coolant in the freezer to see what temp it freezes at? And what about putting a submersible heater in the coolant tank? That might be better anyway because really cold coolant on hot cutting tools might shorten the life of the tool. How much would it cost to keep the coolant at 40 or 50 degrees? I know it gets cold where his shop is and I don't have much experience with weather that cold for that long. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I second the idea of spot heating the freezables. I still would recommend trying to maintain a consistent temp to avoid day/night cycles of condensation and rust.

Reply to
Pete C.

As long as it's not ethylene glycol, it will be a heck of a lot easier on any barn cats that might be around. Cats love anti-freeze and it kills them overnight.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

Milady LOVES cats. They won't touch ethylene glycol with soluable oil and other junk in the coolant. For my 2 cents, I'd go this way, but the kid is with you, he won't use old radiator coolant like I did years ago.

Reply to
Karl Townsend