WTD: knee mill 40 taper

I'm on the serious look for a knee mill with a NMTB 40 taper spindle. Lagun and Excello are the two most likely machines.

I have my R8 bridgy sold, but it can't leave until I find a replacement. I have a HUGE collection of NMTB 40 tool holders

Reply to
Karl Townsend

According to Karl Townsend :

Hmm ... what kind of work envelope do you need? The Nichols horizontal mill uses NMTB 40 in both the horizontal spindle and in the optional vertical spindle (the right angle head). The head is on vertical ways, and is moved by a long lever working a sector gear around the spindle, so you can plunge and drill with the right angle head at need.

However -- it is a rather small (but beefy) machine.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I haven't seen this machine. This would meet my needs. 90% of my milling work is done on a CNC mill, but there are several small things where a manual mill is just too handy.

For example, right now my CNC mill is in the middle of engraving several hundred custom belt buckles and I need a small block to hold a chamfer tool on the CHNC lathe.

BTW, if anybody has a custom design they'd like engraved on a belt buckle, "The Kid" (my son) makes a real nice stainless steel one. He can import a sketch into mastercam and kick out a Gcode program.

Thanks for the tip.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

You want a Nichols? Come down to LA and Ill GIVE you one.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Dammit Gunner, why don't you live a couple thousand miles closer to me?

I found this Lagun on Ebay:

By chance is there anybody near Cincinatti OH that could look at it?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

According to Karl Townsend :

O.K. You do need to be sure which model you are getting. Some have a lever feed for the X axis, others have a leadscrew and dial, and others have both. Mine has both, and I find each useful for certain kinds of work.

Oh yes -- and some have pure hydraulic feeds for the X-axis -- good for serious production, but terrible for onesey-twosey operations.

If you want to pick up a manual for the machine series, so you can see what they are like, drop me an e-mail and I'll get one to you.

I got mine simply because with my name, I *had* to have one. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Don't know anything about this particular machine nor the seller, but there has been a Cincinnati Toolmaster in Michigan advertised on the Practical Machinist board that seems to suit your requirements:

Seems that Toolmaster owners are all pleased with there machines but I have no first hand experience.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Streff

The Cincies (tool masters) are fine mills. Moderately rare here in the West Coast..but pretty common back East.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner