Starrett question

Hello all,
This may sound silly, but I was wondering the correct pronunciation of
"Starrett". Is it "star-ett" or "stare-it"? Just wondering.
Thanks
Reply to
John L. Weatherly
I've always heard and used "stare-it".
Reply to
AL
Yep, I've been involved in machining since the mid 50's and have always heard and pronounced it "Stare-it or (et)"
Harold
Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos
You really are an old goat ya know.
chucklingly yours
michael
Reply to
michael
snip----
Heavy sigh!! What can I say?
Harold
Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos
Weird. In the 35+ years since getting my first Starrett mic, the only way I've heard it pronounced here in New England is "sta'-ret", sta as in stack, accent on the first syllable.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
That's not old. I started in April, 1940 and I ain't old yet. Walt
Reply to
Walt LeRoy
Maybe it's an accent thing (pun not intended). That's the way it gets prounounced over here in the UK.
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
The people in the town where the stuff is made say it that way too Harold. Looks like you got lucky. Did you know that those people are called Athols? :>)
Reply to
Jack Erbes
Most likely a regional thing, yes? I've noticed that folks from the right coast call FlOOrida (Florida) FlAHrida.
Considering we speak English, there are times when it's hard to prove it, especially when we jump continents.
Harold
Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos
Gulp!! Man, that's dangerously close to something bad. Nope, didn't know it!
Harold
Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos
Not just continents. Over here it's also Counties, and regions. The regional accents here are something to marvel over. Hope they never vanish. GeoffH Norfolk, UK
Reply to
GeoffH
I've always pronounced it "Star-rett". But have no reason to believe my pronunciation is more or less correct than any of the possibilities. I just e-mailed the L. S. Starrett Company and have asked them to clear up this mind boggling question....
If and when they answer, I'll post the answer.
:-)
Dave Young
Reply to
Dave Young
Thanks to all for your responses. My wife suggested that I call the factory and find out. I don't know why I didn't think of that. When I called (978-249-3551), I got a recorded greeting (weekend). Pronunciation: "stare-it". So much for proper nouns following any kind of pronunciation rules.
Thanks again
Reply to
John L. Weatherly
Darn!!!!!!!!!! Why didn't I think of that!!!!!!!!!
:-|
Dave
Reply to
Dave Young
Probably answered by someone in prison or India
Reply to
dann mann
And that's also how the operator on the phone at Starrett says it when she picks up the phone.
Abrasha
Abrasha
Which leads me to think that *ears* have accents. I called and heard exactly what you heard, which is what I was expecting. John (from Nashville) called and heard "stare- it".
Thesis material perhaps? I'm sure it's been done.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
The Starrett family pronounce the name as in "stare-it", accent on first syllable, with the "a" maybe just a bit shorter than in the "stare".
Athol is home to a mix of Yankee accents - Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, maybe even some Maine thrown in. Never sure what you're going to hear there.
John Martin
Reply to
JMartin957
"Thank you for your recent email.