Starrett question

Hello all, This may sound silly, but I was wondering the correct pronunciation of "Starrett". Is it "star-ett" or "stare-it"? Just wondering.

Thanks

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

I've always heard and used "stare-it".

Reply to
AL

Yep, I've been involved in machining since the mid 50's and have always heard and pronounced it "Stare-it or (et)"

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

You really are an old goat ya know.

chucklingly yours

michael

Reply to
michael

snip----

Heavy sigh!! What can I say?

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Weird. In the 35+ years since getting my first Starrett mic, the only way I've heard it pronounced here in New England is "sta'-ret", sta as in stack, accent on the first syllable.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Reply to
Walt LeRoy

Maybe it's an accent thing (pun not intended). That's the way it gets prounounced over here in the UK.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

The people in the town where the stuff is made say it that way too Harold. Looks like you got lucky. Did you know that those people are called Athols? :>)

Reply to
Jack Erbes

Most likely a regional thing, yes? I've noticed that folks from the right coast call FlOOrida (Florida) FlAHrida.

Considering we speak English, there are times when it's hard to prove it, especially when we jump continents.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Gulp!! Man, that's dangerously close to something bad. Nope, didn't know it!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Not just continents. Over here it's also Counties, and regions. The regional accents here are something to marvel over. Hope they never vanish. GeoffH Norfolk, UK

Reply to
GeoffH

I've always pronounced it "Star-rett". But have no reason to believe my pronunciation is more or less correct than any of the possibilities. I just e-mailed the L. S. Starrett Company and have asked them to clear up this mind boggling question....

If and when they answer, I'll post the answer.

:-)

Dave Young

Reply to
Dave Young

Thanks to all for your responses. My wife suggested that I call the factory and find out. I don't know why I didn't think of that. When I called (978-249-3551), I got a recorded greeting (weekend). Pronunciation: "stare-it". So much for proper nouns following any kind of pronunciation rules.

Thanks again

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Darn!!!!!!!!!! Why didn't I think of that!!!!!!!!!

:-|

Dave

Reply to
Dave Young

Probably answered by someone in prison or India

Reply to
dann mann

And that's also how the operator on the phone at Starrett says it when she picks up the phone.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Which leads me to think that *ears* have accents. I called and heard exactly what you heard, which is what I was expecting. John (from Nashville) called and heard "stare- it".

Thesis material perhaps? I'm sure it's been done.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

The Starrett family pronounce the name as in "stare-it", accent on first syllable, with the "a" maybe just a bit shorter than in the "stare".

Athol is home to a mix of Yankee accents - Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, maybe even some Maine thrown in. Never sure what you're going to hear there.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

I mentioned earlier that I wrote to Starrett to get the correct pronunciation. I got a reply from Sharon Nault (of Starrett) who said: "Thank you for your recent email.

We pronounce it Stare-it.".

Dave Young

Reply to
Dave Young