southbend follow rest (what does it fit)

i have a south bend follow rest with these numbers on it, pt120r1 and flr101r does anybody now what size machine this is for.

Reply to
Asp3211968

I can't find anything with FLR101R on it (what part of the follow rest is the part number on?), nor the PT120R1. At least not in my parts manual that includes the 9", 10", 13", 14 1/2", 16" and 2H, or 16/24". At least you know what it doesn't fit. I did find a part number of PT130R1 for a regular follower rest that fits a 10" (doesn't say light or heavy). I also found a AS120R1 for a telescoping jaw follower rest for a heavy 10.

Maybe it fits a South Bend Junior (8" swing if I remember correctly). I don't have a parts manual for that lathe.

Good luck,

Dave Young

Reply to
Dave Young

part number on?), nor the PT120R1. At least not in my parts manual that includes the 9", 10", 13", 14 1/2", 16" and 2H, or 16/24". At least you know what it doesn't fit. I did find a part number of PT130R1 for a regular follower rest that fits a 10" (doesn't say light or heavy). I also found a AS120R1 for a telescoping jaw follower rest for a heavy 10.

have a parts manual for that lathe.

Reply to
Grant Erwin

That's for a heavy ten, a 10L.

In general south bend has an "R" in the part numbers for 10L stuff, they use an "N" for items associated with the 9" machines, and the 10Ks (light tens) have a "K" in the part number. [1]

For example, they use the exact same part number for the frame of a steady rest for the 9, the 10K, and the 10L, only changing the one letter.

The parts manual is a tiny bit unclear about this, so I checked my 10L follower rest - and yep, that's the exact part number cast into its frame. The "lfr" number is stamped on the base, they call that the "unit code" for some reason. It probably is the part number for the entire assembly.

Jim

[1] Hmm. Using a K for the 10Ks makes sense. The 9" machines, maybe N=Nine? But the R for 10Ls is a bit of a puzzler.

jim rozen

I was told by someone years ago that the "R" was for Regular, dont know if its true or not, but seems to make sense.

Tom

Reply to
UntMaintco

When I look those numbers in my book, it doesn't match any of the part numbers for the follower rest. But I have a theory:

The book shows where 'unit code numbers' are stamped on the part. When I look at the unit code numbers on my carriage or tailstock, they don't match any part numbers in the book for those assemblys. I think what you are seeing is a unit code number that covers the entire assembly, not just the one part. But the book is only looking at one piece at a time.

-- Bill Browne Excalibur

Claims, Taft-Hartley Fund, & Pension Administration Software

Reply to
Bill Browne

That's odd. My SB book has *exactly* those numbers in it, for the 10L follower rest. And the follower rest that fits my 10L has exactly those numbers cast into it.

Jim

jim rozen

The book I have, dated 4/5/65, shows the regular follower rest frame part number as:

9" PT130N1 10" PT130R1

Makes no differentation between heavy and light 10".

The part number for the telescoping jaw follower rest frame is:

9" AS120N1 Light 10" AS120K1 Heavy 10" AS120R1

I am unable to find a PT120R1 or an FLR101 in my book.

-- Bill Browne Excalibur

Claims, Taft-Hartley Fund, & Pension Administration Software

Bill

Reply to
Bill Browne

i feel this is for a 10l the face plate is in the box and says 10l and the owner(very old) says they had a heavy 10 sb. i just put it on ebay

Reply to
Asp3211968

My SB book shows the frame as being ...K1

I think the frames are different.

Jim

jim rozen