looking for a metal lathe for a home shop

in Los Angeles area - I see this hendey lathe on E-bay

but I don't know if this is a bad idea due to age and parts availability or not. and of course less $ is good, but this one seems pretty complete.

-- Bill - reply to wiilliam_b_noble at msn dot com also check out

william_b_noble

That's a really big machine for a home shop. Unless you have either overhead crane coverage or a drive in shop, with fork truck (*large* fork truck) you will have a tough time installing this machine in a home shop.

Jim

jim rozen

I saw a big lathe go begging for bids at $125 recently. No one wanted it.

Reply to
ATP

It isn't as big as my Clausing 15x60. That was an adventure getting *out* of the seller's house (mainly due to the steep grade gravel road to get up to his house), but it was a piece of cake to install in my shop. Of course my shop is grade level, but I just used a homemade set of skates to move it into place. If stairs had been involved, it would have been a different matter.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

I strongly suspect that's what will happen to this one. Anyone who really wants this would be smart to show up at the site after the auction ends with a really big truck, with the following sign painted on it:

"BIG LATHES HAULED AWAY - SORT OF CHEAP"

Jim

jim rozen

Nice looking lathe, and would fit nicely in MY home shop. However..its as Jim says..a bit much for a small home shop.

If you are in California, I have a couple Logan 10" lathes for sale that would be more up your alley. Tell you what..,you get the lathe, and Ill trade you a decent 10" Logan lathe with QC gearbox etc, with tooling, and Ill toss in a very nice Vernon Horizontal mill, with tooling, both of which are perfect for a home shop. We do the swap in my front yard, just outside of Bakersfield, California.

You bring the lathe, and a refridgerator dolly to load your machines, and I rent a forklift to unload yours.

Sounds like a deal to me, as I already have the extra thick slab the lathe will sit on.

Gunner

Gunner

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Reply to
Gunner

Wow. I want to say that the 2500 lb number the seller put on the machine sounds kind of low to me. There's a lot of cast iron in a 14 inch, seven foot bed lathe like that. Did you move the Clausing by yourself, or did you hire riggers?

Jim

jim rozen

My guys at Lance Wrecker did the hauling. I moved it into place in the shop by myself. As I said, the adventure was getting it out of the other guy's house and onto the rollback, which could only get within a half mile of the house due to the mentioned poor road. We rented a

4x4 off road forklift for that.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

There was a Cincinnati lathe and a Wells Index 860 milling machine at a local auction today. I was interested in going for the Wells Index, but the timing wasn't right. I think it probably went pretty cheap.

Reply to
ATP

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 07:40:26 GMT, "ATP" wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

Aaaahh! The ol' "timing wasn't right" trap! The trouble with auctions is that the "timing" is always too early.....until after you just bought one retail because there were none at auction for the 6 montths you went and waited....

bugger!

****************************************************************************************** Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. The rest sit around and make snide comments.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email !!

Reply to
Old Nick

We're not going to even *talk* about the CDI module I just purchased, for just over wholesale. Then the next week, what shows up on ebay, and sells for five bucks. Yep, CDI module for a KLR-250.

Grrrr.....

Jim

jim rozen

I love this stuff. This is the second story here that had the tag line, 'but the four wheel drive fork lift took care of all that...'

I forget who, but somebody installed a monarch

10EE in his basement using one of those.

Jim

jim rozen

I could use a big (600 +) CFM compressor for some closed cycle vacuum blasting. About 2 years ago I stopped bidding on a nice Joy compressor that had a recently rebuilt motor at about $600. I can't recall now if it went for 600 or $800 but it was one of those. I called the guy who bought it up Friday, it's been sitting under a tree for the last two years but he wants $4,000 for it, which is actually a fair price. At the time of the auction I figured it was too big. I did get a nice 185 CFM for $1400, but now I wish I had both.

Reply to
ATP

Reply to
Tom Adams