Steel Choice?

Hey all

In looking around for some stock for a project I came across Enco's tool steel offerings. I need something tougher than low carbon steel, but easily machined (lathe). These will be press fit bushings and I don't have grinding capabilities, so no heat treating. W1, O1, and A1 are readily available in the sizes I need, which one would be best when left in the 'as is' state, and which machines the best?

The bushings these replace are basically drill guides in an aluminum fixture, used with hole saws. The originals seem to be mild steel and lasted pretty well but have finally worn out. I'd like to keep them relatively soft so as not to ruin the hole saw, but somewhat tougher than low carbon steel. Any other steel choices that would be easily obtained and affordable in small quantities would be considered.

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul Batozech

Others will have better advice but I think that the machining properties are similar enough to just get the cheapest, probably W-1, depending on the supplier. I can't say why but I prefer 0-1, probably just so I don't end up with a bunch of unknown steel later.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Paul Batozech wrote in news:408F0C4B.6196F441 @comcast.net:

4140PH would probably be a good choice here.
Reply to
Anthony

Um... 4140 hardens normally (oil or air quench?) as I recall, not precipitation hardening...?

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

That caught my attention as well, but I think Anthony means PreHard, not Precipitation Hardening.

Personally, if I were the OP, I'd just buy drill bushings.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

"Tim Williams" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

My bad, should have () what I meant by PH - Pre-Hardened

Reply to
Anthony