Steel for Olympic Barbell

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 07:32:45 -0800 (PST), Sandarpan Mukherjee

Not to be insulting, but how much can you lift? do you really need a bar that is made of 250,000 psi steel to handle the weight that you can lift at your present stage of development?
--
cheers,

John D.Slocomb
On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 06:37:13 UTC+5:30, John D. Slocomb wrote:

I can squat 315 lbs and deadlift 400. Not nearly enough to test 200000 psi. But what happens if I accidentally drop a loaded bar on my power rack safety rods? Will the bar survive the severe bending impact? That is when a stronger bar proves its strength.
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 08:49:29 -0800 (PST), Sandarpan Mukherjee

See Bethlehem Steel's "Modern Steels and Their Properties." This is a scan minus the attribution: http://www.akronsteeltreating.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/ast-book.pdf
--
Ned Simmons

Excellent! I see 202 pages of unexpected reading in my near future. Link saved.
--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
On Sunday, November 9, 2014 at 11:17:43 PM UTC+5:30, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

make an Olympic barbell, 2.2m long and 28mm in diameter. I'm torn between chrome-moly steel and spring steel. Again I'm not a metallurgist and know v ery little about these things. The bar will be at least 190000 psi tensile strength with 170000 psi yield strength. I'm also looking for decent machin ing characteristics so that I can put a knurl on it and cut grooves to atta ch sleeves.

I think we need to buy one branded bar and have to check chemical propertie s of shaft material.. As we have to do all cnc work or lathe work on Shaft like knurling,turning, grooving before heat treating But If we do heat treat bar can bend due to heat then after we need to remove b end on bend remove press machine or it take alot of time and money but if we complete this all process ..This b ar ll be very easy to make in quantity.
As we know In India EN19 to EN 24 is available but its impossible to heat 7 ft shaft in oven...Oven should be very big.
For more info you can reply me.
On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 21:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Padmanabh Jadhav

My knowledge is limited to bars I have purchased at yard sales to be used as a source of raw material. These bars seem to be made erom the nastiest material imaginable; the best way to machine them being to use an angle grinder!

A quick look at the olympic type bars available seem to show an olympic style bar stated to be "120,000 lbs" tensile strength. If they actually meant 120,000 lbs/inch square then 4140 (normalized at 810 degrees C) will have a tensile strength of 147,938 psi and 4140 annealed is about 94,000 psi. So 4140 should work.
Companies sell heat treated bar stock https://www.specialtysteel.com/alloy-steel/4140-4150-bar-stock-hot-roll-heat-treated/ for example sells 4140 hot rolled with Brinnell of 269/341BHN and a tensile strength of 156,000 psi. Brinnell Hardness 271 = RC 28.8 and 342 = RC 26.6
--
Cheers,

John B.