Steel for Olympic Barbell

Crossfit/dp/B00JKM3BZU

made out of a chrome-moly steel? Is it possible for such a high strength st eel to be non-brittle enough for the application?

Also to answer your question why I'm making my own; all fitness stores here stock Chinese crap exclusively. The elite sponsored athletes train on impo rted Eleikos. Also a barbell is not a very complex piece of equipment. With access to materials, CNC machines and people who know how to machine I don 't see why I should settle for bad equipment when, with a little "research" I can assimilate all the know how required to put together a decent bar. I said decent, not world class.

Reply to
Sandarpan Mukherjee

Well, if price is the issue, you should be able to beat those prices I saw in the links. The trickiest part of the whole project will be the heat treatment. If you have a really good commercial heat-treat shop, they should be able to do it. It's cookbook. But, considering that you're pushing the steel near to its limits of strength, it has to be done right.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Not to be insulting, but how much can you lift? do you really need a bar that is made of 250,000 psi steel to handle the weight that you can lift at your present stage of development?

Reply to
John D. Slocomb

I can squat 315 lbs and deadlift 400. Not nearly enough to test 200000 psi. But what happens if I accidentally drop a loaded bar on my power rack safety rods? Will the bar survive the severe bending impact? That is when a stronger bar proves its strength.

Reply to
Sandarpan Mukherjee

I think we need to buy one branded bar and have to check chemical properties of shaft material.. As we have to do all cnc work or lathe work on Shaft like knurling,turning,grooving before heat treating But If we do heat treat bar can bend due to heat then after we need to remove bend on bend remove press machine or it take alot of time and money but if we complete this all process ..This bar ll be very easy to make in quantity.

As we know In India EN19 to EN 24 is available but its impossible to heat 7 ft shaft in oven...Oven should be very big.

For more info you can reply me.

Reply to
Padmanabh Jadhav

My knowledge is limited to bars I have purchased at yard sales to be used as a source of raw material. These bars seem to be made erom the nastiest material imaginable; the best way to machine them being to use an angle grinder!

Reply to
Gerry

A quick look at the olympic type bars available seem to show an olympic style bar stated to be "120,000 lbs" tensile strength. If they actually meant 120,000 lbs/inch square then 4140 (normalized at 810 degrees C) will have a tensile strength of 147,938 psi and 4140 annealed is about 94,000 psi. So 4140 should work.

Companies sell heat treated bar stock

example sells 4140 hot rolled with Brinnell of 269/341BHN and a tensile strength of 156,000 psi. Brinnell Hardness 271 = RC 28.8 and

342 = RC 26.6
Reply to
John B.