Steel prices

Haven't priced steel for a while now. How is it? I use a 20' of .065" wall square tubing as a guideline. Anyone bought any lately, and how much is it? When I was in business, it hovered around $6, but a few months ago, it was around $9. I need to make some fence and gates.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It was actually down a little just before Xmas, don't know how things are now.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Um, 20' of what size .065" wall square steel tubing? It makes rather a big difference 1/2", 3/4", 1", etc. big jumps in total steel weight.

Reply to
Pete C.

DOH. One inch.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It probably depends on whether your vendor spent $7 or $4 for the inventory he has.

An excellent time to shop around.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I'd call around. Small timers might not turn their inventory as often as larger sellers.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Just now got a quote from Allied Iron.

say $24.90 buys one 20' stick of 1" box tube in 0.065" wall. The stuff is still gold!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Hmmm, thanks Ned. I'm paying more than you; I figured it'd be about the same across the country.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I just bought 500' of DOM tubing for $4.65'. Last year I paid $5.40'.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I bought a bit over ten tons at an auction this summer for $200. Starting to look like I did O.K.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Bet you did. Sell it all at rip off scrap price and you still win.

Glad you got some good stuff from the sounds of it. Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Did it start an tornadoes, Karl? You suck, bigtime! I think I paid $1 a foot for 5/8 sq. 0.093 wall a few years ago.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Karl,

You still suck!

Wes

Wes

Considering that the *scrap* price last time I recycled any was $220/ton, I'd say you did a lot better than just "O.K." Even if it's *all* scrap, you pocket an easy two grand.

Reply to
Doug Miller

California its $187/ton

In some places.

It tends to be wildly different all over the country/state/county/city

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch