straightening a shaft

I have a bent lead screw for a surface grinder which I would like to have
straightned. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who could do
a superior job??
Thanks
wak
Reply to
WAKRocket
Just a suggestion, homemade v blocks, hardwood and a heavy hammer? Once you get it close you can begin using your dial indicator to check for runout. How straight do you need the shaft? (humor not intended!)
John H.
Reply to
Mustmaker
Much you don't say. How badly bent? How long? Hardened? What diameter? Bent in the threaded area or at the ends? IF bent in the threads, accuracy might be a thing of the past, bent end can be replaced if the screw isn't hard. If badly bent and hardened, chances of it cracking are good, if only a slight bend, it may come out. Straightening things in an arbor press isn't a black art, it's a PITA. How straight do you need it? Even the factory isn't perfect and have some tolerance for straightness. I can't name any right off hand, but there are places that do straightening, but depending on what you want, it might be cheaper than a new screw, or may be more expensive.
Reply to
Lennie the Lurker
A good dead-blow hammer would help you out... A little practice and it gets real easy...
Reply to
Kevin Beitz
They make shaft straightening presses. Like the arrow straightening jig already mentioned only capable of straightening shafts (barrels?) of much larger diameter. The press I have has a built in vee way, mounts a dial indicator, and has a screw press on top in the center. It is a one piece casting about two feet long. I had a much larger one a couple of years ago. It was about 4' long and had its own stand. These are purpose built machines which were somewhat common years ago. The screw press gives a better feel than hydraulic, and can apply a precise amount of movement. It would be relatively simple to make one to do 1/4" rod. Paul
Reply to
6e70